Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

yawning during sleep

My bed-mate has recently started to complain that I am yawning while sleeping. I was startled - I didn't think it was possible to yawn while asleep. It has happened several times. My partner nudges me and ask me to stop yawning - and I am puzzled, because I have no recollection of yawning, since I've been asleep. My partner has taken to wearing earplugs now because of this problem.

What is going on? Is it a symptom of sleep apnea? (I have no reason to believe I have sleep apnea, although my father does to some extent, and he uses a CPAP machine). I read somewhere else some speculation that it might possibly be related to mild seizure activity. As far as I know, I have not had seizures since I was about 4 years old, when I had them due to extreme fever.

Should I see my doctor about this? I'm not sure what to do next. Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Is this happening every time you sleep?
For how long this is going on?
Do you find your sleep refreshing?
|

replied May 13th, 2008
MandMs wrote:
Is this happening every time you sleep?
For how long this is going on?
Do you find your sleep refreshing?

I do not know if it happens every time I sleep. My partner has mentioned it about 4 or 5 times in the last month, but it is possible it also happens without being noticed on other nights.

My partner first reported the yawning happening about a month ago.

I do find my sleep refreshing, yes - I am not usually tired during the day.

I don't know if this could be related or not, but I have also in the last 6 weeks started an exercise program which is fairly vigorous, in order to lose weight. I've lost about 12 pounds so far.

Thanks very much for your reply, and any information you can provide!
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Yawning still retains an air of mystery as to its causes and reasons for happening, so it may be hard to come up with a definitive answer on this one.

Are you taking some medications?
Do you have problems with your heart and blood pressure?
Have you been told by your partner that you are snoring, too?
|

replied June 16th, 2008
ohh very bad for your partner..
A friend of mines used to use ear plugs during the day when he slept because of a noisy neighbor, than he developed viral infection in his ear.

You ears must remain open to air out the ear wax so it can dry and be removed.

You can ask your doctor about doing a sleep study to see if you are having problems when you sleep.
|

replied October 15th, 2009
Any new information?
Hi I was wondering if you learned any more about yawning during sleep? My fiance does this constantly. It is quite irrating because I'm woken up but he gets a full nights rest. i can't find anything about it on line. Thanks!
|

replied October 15th, 2009
If you feel dizzy or uncoordinated from time to time the yawning in your sleep is related to an inner ear infection, mild or not. Inner ear infections can be an ongoing problem if untreated, such as yawning in your sleep. Even if your ears seem to be cleaned using q-tips, check with your doctor about an ear exam which takes seconds. Example, the little light he probes into your ear. An ear cleaning usually containing hydrogen proixide and water which can clean out the ear, just have a medical professional do this.
|

replied August 26th, 2010
yawning while asleep
My grandson 3 1/2 years old yawns in his sleep.... is he really asleep when he yawns, is he getting enough sleep?
|

replied August 29th, 2010
yawning while asleep
there is no information online. My 9 year old is fast asleep and I've heard him yawn a couple times in the last 2 weeks
|