Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Xiphoid Process swollen (I think)

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
So I noticed I had a lump in the center of my chest right below my sternum. After research I think its my Xiphoid Process thats enlarged for some reason. It hurts after I touch it and the best way for me to feel it is to poke my chest out. Anybody else having this issue or have had this before?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2012
It is very common for persons to become aware of the xiphoid process, and pressing on it makes it tender. So don't press on it - usually ignoring it leads to comfort and mental relief. If you continue to think that the xiphoid process is enlarged, then you will need to have a physician check it.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|

replied June 5th, 2012
My xiphoid process was removed in 2004 and I still have a dull agonizing feeling there...especially after I eat and the abdomen naturally bloats until the food is more fully digested. It also aches after I drink carbonated pop. Also, if I exercise and the exercise puts pressure in that area, such as certain Yoga poses, push-ups etc etc. No mesh was implanted during the surgical procedure to remove the detached xiphoid process.
Hopefully with me losing weight and eating less @ each meal, less pressure will be exerted on that area. Also, hopefully Yoga will help re-strengthen the muscles/tendons/etc in that area and the pain will eventually go away...
|

replied June 25th, 2014
Swollen Xiphoid Process
I have the exact same thing! I have IBS and during one of the episodes where I was having extreme abdominal pain, I noticed that my xiphoid process seemed to be protruding. I asked my GI and he told me that my colon was putting pressure on it. Now, it feels like I have a "knot" growing on it, but it doesn't hurt that much...sometimes sore, but when I exercise, crunches, push ups, leg exercises the push up into my abdomen, it hurts worse. This is the craziest thing I have ever experienced!
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.