Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

xiphoid process catches muscle tissue

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
First let me give you a little back ground of myself. I am small framed and recently had a set of twins, rather lrg twins, ever since then my xiphoid pr. has been sitting in a differ position. When i stretch or left my leg up to put lotion on, tie my shoe or sometimes just bend at the right side it feels like muscle tissue or something gets stuck between my ribs and xiphoid pr. to the extent of me not being able to move its gotten so bad ive almost past out from the pain. I cant get up until i have massaged the mass out from infront of my top rips. Not sure if i should worry about this matter please help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper fishmonkey
|

replied March 12th, 2009
xiphoid process
I have also recently gave birth to two large twin boys. During the last month of my pregnancy ( July) I noticed a "bump" on the bottom of my sternum. I got really nervous and brought it up to my OB and she replied, " it feels like your xiphoid process" so I felt at ease. Now the boys are 7 months and the bump is still there. It hasn't grown or anything but I just cant remember if it was ever there before. So I did bring it up to my nurse prac. at the OB during a check up she said it is a bone and not to worry. So the only thing I can think is maybe because of the growth of the belly it pushed the bone or maybe it was always like that and I never knew. Dont know if this helped....
|

replied May 16th, 2010
xiphoid process lump after pregnancy
I have the same thing. I had an 11lb 2oz baby 2.5 years ago. I have a lump on my xiphoid process that hurts and sometimes causes a cramp that brings me to my knees. Does anyone know if it can be removed?
|

replied March 27th, 2011
I have read on other forums about t being removed, but I think this is very rare.
|

replied September 1st, 2011
zyphoid process/diaphragm and back pain with twisting/bending
I have this too, and still experience it 5 years after my twins were born. It started after I lost my pregnancy weight. I tend to get symptoms more when I lose a bit of weight in my stomach area near my zyphoid process. The pain keels me over as it radiates to my back and takes a few minutes to resolve. My dr has brushed it off and gave me ulcer medication when I persisted. I know I do not have ulcers. I thought maybe I had a diaphramatic hernia in which the opening of the diaphram maybe got stretched with my twin pregnancy, and the top of my stomach slips through it. Self diagnosis! I am a nurse and bad for the self diagnosis but this is what it feels like. When I try to straighten up from being keeled over, it is like my stomach slips back down below my diaphram and zyphoid process. Then I feel better and pain goes away. Is this even possible?
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2011
Especially eHealthy
michelle,

That is the definition of a hiatal hernia. Where the stomach slides up into the chest cavity, through a small hole in the diaphram. However, this hole is actually supposed to be there. It is where the esophagus travels through to hook up with the stomach.

But, in some cases, it enlarges a little, allowing part of the stomach to slide up. Some of the symptoms of a hiatal hernia, can be similar to GERD or ulcers.

So, if you think this is what is happening, then you should see your physician about it. This time, get your doctor's attention, and explain what you are feeling, and that you feel it may something other than ulcers.

Good luck.
|

replied December 25th, 2011
I have had an enlarged xyphoid process most of my life, mine seems to bother me when I gain a little weight. Does anyone else also experience the feeling of food being stuck in your throat? This is relieve by moving in certain positions. It has come and gone before, usually with the sensitive xyloid. I also can push on mine and hear it pop and then find a little relief
|

replied December 25th, 2011
I have had an enlarged xyphoid process most of my life, mine seems to bother me when I gain a little weight. Does anyone else also experience the feeling of food being stuck in your throat? This is relieve by moving in certain positions. It has come and gone before, usually with the sensitive xyloid. I also can push on mine and hear it pop and then find a little relief
|

replied July 31st, 2012
xyphoid pregnancy pain
A couple of times during my last month of pregnancy, if I layed or slouched a certain way, then my xyphoid process will touch into my diaphragm and then my whole diaphragm begins to painfully squeeze and even make it hard for me to breathe. It has done this a couple times after i gave birth and then about once a month since then....its been about 4 months. I called my doc's nurse and she said over time it would go away. Motrin helps the pain during those times.
|