Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

wrong diagnosis PTSD or Schizophrenia

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
My boyfriend has told me that he suffers from PTSD, at times it seems to be the case, however I feel that his behavior is more of that of a schizophrenic, the symptoms seem to fit more clearly than that of PTSD. Either he was diagnosed incorrectly, which I'm unsure how that is possible since they appear to be completely different psychosis's when I research them online, OR my boyfriend is giving me a gentler version or fantasized version of his illness to protect me from the truth. Only problem is his behavior at times just doesn't click, he has significant anxiety, difficulties in coping, some social dysfunction / isolation but the need to tell me he's very popular, inflated sense of esteem in the sense he is competing on how much he knows, popularity and abilities of self importance yet over the last decade his living conditions has worsen and he lacks a job. I've known him 21 years, since we were 17 years old but recently got back together. I hadn't been in his home but knew he was living with his mother. The conditions of the home are deplorable. I'm not sure what to do or how to approach. I love and care about him but don't know what to do. He needs help. He used to get psychiatric care but his doctor is now retired and he refuses to see someone else. He says he's under medication for the PTSD, but I know you have to have a psychiatrist to authorize his prescriptions or renew them over time not a general practitioner. Can his PTSD be really a delusion from schizophrenia that is being untreated?
Did you find this post helpful?
|