Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Wrists pain when I try to bend it backwards.

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Hey, my wrist hurts really much mostly my left wrists, it hurts a lot when I try to bend it backwards. I think one of the reasons to this is due to Boxing like 2 years ago I started to box and I think the reason is that I've hit an heavy object several times without having my wrist straight so when I hit incorrectly it hurt because at that time I didn't know how punch. Sometimes if I play a lot of computer games or type a lot I sometimes gets long period of pain like I can't play for like 4 days or so. But I can't even bend it backwards enough to do a single push-up. It feels like I am unable to bend it far enough back as a normal person, and it causes a lot of pain any ideas of what the problem might be?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
I forgot to say that I've had this for like 2 years now
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Tugget,

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that can cause wrist pain and decreased range of motion. As you have noted, it is possible that you injured one of the carpal bones before you learned to box properly. And that could now be causing you problems. The most commonly injured carpal is the scaphoid.

But, again, there are many structures that could be causing you problems. There are eight carpal bones (besides the other bones that make up the wrist joint), several tendons (both flexor and extensor), multitude of ligaments holding all those little bones together, the TFCC (triangular fibrocartilage complex), the retinaculum, etc, etc, etc.

So, without a thorough examination and maybe some x-rays, it is almost impossible to tell you exactly what is wrong with your wrist.

If you continue to have problems, you should see a hand surgeon for an evaluation.

Good luck.
|

replied June 26th, 2012
Ok, thanks a lot
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Tugget,

As stated, there are a lot of things you could have injured in the wrist.

The scaphoid is the most commonly injured bone, but patients who do a lot of impaction type of work with their hands, are also a set up of things like Kienbock's or ulnar impaction syndrome.

But, to diagnose these conditions, x-rays (or maybe even an MRI) will have to be done.

The examination of the hand and wrist is very complex and most physicians are not trained to do a thorough evaluation. This is why it is suggested that you see a hand surgeon, especially since it has been going on for two years. If it was going to get better on its own, it probably would have done so by now.

Hang in there. Good luck.
|