Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

wrist pain and lumps

Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
someone please help im very fed up, have had wrist pain for about 2yrs now, starting with pain when stirring food etc and clicking wrists then i got numbness in my hands at night tingling and numbness in my fingers, was sent for test for carpal tunnel, wasnt that,then developed large fluid like lumps on inside of both wrists which cause pain (pat. after writing) got referred to rheumatology, bloods were fine had ultra sound which showed normal tissue, then had mri which showed no inflammation, erosion etc, the lumps are still there, still cause pain (have had to get a computer in work as struggle with writing now) my veins by the lumps seem to be being pushed over, my wrists click very loudly at times i drop things all the time and rheumatology have discharged me as they dont know what it is! fed up now does anybody have any ideas or know where to go next as im 32 and this pain etc makes me feel 30yrs older Sad
ps also carrier of haemochromotosis, have pcos and benign hypermobility incase thats relevant
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
trecylwv,

Sounds like you have several things going on.

The numbness when you wake up is most likely still from compression of the median nerve in the carpal tunnel. It just has not progressed to a level of being able to pick it up on electrical studies. It is not uncommon for patients to have this. It is usually from positioning. We tend to flex up the elbows and bend down the wrist, placing the hands under the chin or head, when we sleep. This puts pressure of the nerves, causing them to go to sleep. Usually, when we wake up, the arms are straightened out, and the numbness goes away. So, you may still have very early carpal tunnel syndrome.

As to the clicking in the wrist, this can be normal, just the way you are made. But, it could also be from one of the carpal instabilities. There are many instability patterns (VISI, DISI, scapholunate dissociation, etc). It depends upon which ligaments are incompetent, allowing the bones to move abnormally. The usual presenting symptoms for instabilities are pain with activity and a click or clunk in the wrist, both of which you have. However, there are also some other things that can cause these symptoms. It would take a thorough examination by a hand surgeon to determine the cause.

Lumps and bumps about the hand and wrist are very common. The most common are ganglion cysts, but these are fluid filled, and that would have shown up on ultrasound. Another is the EIC (epidermal inclusion cyst). The next is a giant cell tumor of tendon sheath. But, there are also swellings of the synovial lining of tendons (tenosynovitis), fibromas, neuromas, foreign body granulomas, and of course, rarely, neoplasms.

You do not say if you have actually been seen by a hand surgeon or not. If you have not, that should be your next stop. All of the conditions you list are evaluated and treated by hand surgeons.

Good luck.
|

replied December 28th, 2011
thankyou so much for taking the time to answer will make a hand surgeon my next stop
|

replied February 21st, 2013
I am 12 and I have been told I have carpal tunnel I have tablets for it but about 2mounths ago a swelling apeered on my left wrist and I am now getting pain. What shall I do I am terrified of needles ect . Plz explain someone. Type the answer to starting with 123 (just to know the answer is to me) thank! Smile
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2013
carpel tunnel is a very irritating pain and i know how you feel..have you tried to wear a wrist band? i can recommend the best wrist band that can help.
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2013
Especially eHealthy
shiver123,

Sorry you are having problems.

It is very rare for patients of your age to get carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). Unfortunately, many busy physicians tend to just label all wrist and hand pain as being CTS. But, really, CTS has a very specific set of symptoms.

CTS is due to compression of the median nerve as it goes under the transverse carpal ligament, forming the carpal tunnel. when the median nerve is compressed, it causes numbness, tingling, and pain in the thumb, index finger, middle finger, and radial half of the ring finger.

These symptoms are usually brought on by static grasping (such as holding a phone or book, driving, holding a coffee cup, etc) or by putting the wrists in positions which compress the median nerve (either too much flexion or extension).

This is why a lot of patients wake up with numb/tingling fingers when they have CTS. When we sleep, we tend to bring our hands up under our chin, flexing down the wrist. This puts pressure on the nerve.

The hand surgeon can do a set of test to see if it truly is carpal tunnel syndrome. These include static two point discrimination, Phalen's test, Tinel's test, and the carpal compression test.

If these tests are quickly positive, and the condition is significantly affecting the patient's life, a surgical release is usually offered.

But, if the symptoms do not fit exactly, or the symptoms do not really bother the patient all that much, then the patient will be managed nonoperatively with splints to hold the wrists in neurtral position, and maybe some medication.

If there is question after the examination, then usually some electrical studies will be done (EMG - electromyography, NCV - nerve condution velocity).

But, as mentioned, not all hand pain is carpal tunnel syndrome. You state that you have developed swelling on the left wrist. CTS does not usually cause significant swelling. But, there is a condition, called a ganglion cyst which can form cysts (very very small to very large) in just about any location around the wrist. The most common place in on the back of the hand/wrist. These are often called “bible bumps”, because they were broken by using the biggest book in the house (the family bible).

Ganglions can cause some dull aching and then some sharp pain when the cyst gets pinched between structures (such as when doing push-ups).

So, it sounds like you need to have a very thorough evaluation by a hand surgeon.

Good luck.
|

replied May 17th, 2013
Carpal Tunnel
Hello!,

Is carpal tunnel really something that I need to get taken care of ASAP? of can it wait?
|