Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Wound Care Forum

Wound healing and skin regeneration

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
I skinned my left ring finger on Christmas eve and while to all intents and purpose the finger is healed however I still can not play the guitar with this finger - the pressure against the string is too much to bear. Will the skin get thicker and the sensitivity reduce over time and how long will it take?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
bsf1968,

If it was the pad of the finger that you skinned, unfortunately, it will take quite a while.

There are a lot of nerve endings in the pads of the fingers. When you took the skin off, you basically exposed those nerve endings. Scar tissue is not a very good substitute for the real thing, but, it will, with time become tough.

Just like when you first start playing the guitar, you had to build up the calluses on the pads of the fingers, so they didn't bother you, you will have to toughen up the scar tissue on the pad of that finger.

It will eventually toughen up, but it is going to take quite a while.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply