Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Worried I've contracted HIV 3 years ago

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hi everyone,
This is my very first post on such forums. I just want to get right into it. 3.5 years ago i was in a relationship with someone who I felt i've crossed my limits with ! I dont know what I was thinking. I was young and stupid !!! I had sex with this guy and it was my very first time and I was terrified about what I had done ! I did not want to endup this way. Anyway, he was in me for like 3 seconds and i felt my hymen breaking and so i quickly pushed him away from me. There was no ejaculation nothing but im not sure about precum. After this horrible incident i felt so depressed. For the first couple weeks i was stressed about being pregnant i was going crazy on the internet searching gor clues. A couple days later i felt the urge to constantly pee alot but everytime i went to the bathroom nothing came put. Still depressed over the situation I had my first ever yeast infection... it would come and go. I also had a flu, which lasted for couple of days. I had lymph node in the groin for some time. I also had yeast infection which was on and off for a few months but then went away itself but during this time also had itchy rash on my breasts and under it.
I didnt go to the doctor for all this... the symptoms went away on their own. At one point i also had a cyst under my armpit, which led me to the doctor and he said it was due to a new antipersipirant i was using at the time.( he was right).
So these were all my symptoms. Fast forward to today, i have no symptoms im perfectly healthy. I eat good i also had my blood test done which came out to be fine except my tsh level was a bit low. My CBC count was normal. Im about to get married in a couple months and this hiv scare came back to haunt me. I cannot concentrate on anything ! I also messaged my ex about this and he has told me billion times thst he is fine he doesnt have anything. He never got tested for hiv but he has had appendix, nose and back surgery for which they performed gazilliom tests on him and he claims he's fine. I dont want to be in contact with him at all ! Please someone shed some light on my situation. Do i carry any risk of being infected? I know i should get an hiv test done but im tooo afraid to.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

HIV symptoms can be very confusing, and many other conditions can be mistaken for HIV. Hence HIV is not ‎‎‎‎‎‎diagnosed based on signs or symptoms. It is ‎‎diagnosed based on serology tests detecting HIV antigens and ‎‎antibodies ‎‎‎‎‎in the blood. ‎

If you think, a person might be infected, there is no point in wondering about the symptoms, but it is essential to get proper medical evaluation and get tests to rule out your suspicions.

In case, you think, you may be infected with HIV, The only way, you can confirm it, is by getting tested for HIV. Having a negative test result will help you clear the fear of being infected with HIV.

As per CDC recommendations, the only test used to screen for HIV is the ELISA test, which detects HIV antibodies in the body secretions and or blood. The 4th generation ELISA tests for HIV, detects both the HIV antibody as well as antigens of HIV virus. Hence the test that is very accurate and sensitive at detecting HIV infection. ‎This test can be done after 4 weeks of exposure. If found negative, the test should repeat it every 4 weeks until 12 weeks. ‎

In case the test results are negative after 12 weeks, then you can consider yourself as HIV free.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.