Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Working out after appendectomy

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
I had my appendix taken out 3 months ago. I do a lot of crunches and before surgery, my belly was pretty flat. Since the surgery, I have been doing crunches and sit-ups like crazy, but my belly won't do anything. It's really frustrating and I was wondering if anyone had similar problems? After surgery, I looked like I was 5 months pregnant-now I look like I'm 3 months pregnant! Any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 15th, 2009
Me too!
My appendix ruptured and I was taken out on New Years Day but there were loads of complications so I had a further two surgeries last of which was on 16 Jan.

I was fairly physically fit, ran regularly and was proud to have a flat stomach!! Someone offered me their seat on the tube the other day thinking I was pregnant - I walk with my hand guarding my tummy! I wasn't complaining too much since I got a seat but still!

Have you seen a physio? I saw one on Friday and was advised to not do abdominal exercises for a while and she taught me how to massage my wounds - 5 in all how to reduce scar tissue forming badly. Despite my two stone weight loss the buldge isn't going and isn't going to shake for a while due to the healing and swelling underneath, I suspect the same for you.

Don't push too hard and take it easy. Sometime pain is an indications to stop! =)
|

replied April 4th, 2010
situps
i had an abscess that burst and twisted inside. so they decided to take my appendix out in case that was causing the problem and that was nearly 3 months ago. i look like i have an alien growing out the side of my tummy and i hate it. as i have allways done sit-ups and rode my bike whenever, but i know things take time and will have to bear with it. at least one thing i`m still here to tell the tale.
|