Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

womans menstrul period smell (Page 1)

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
Confused I am in my mid thirties and have always been able to tell when a woman is in her menstrual cycle. I can tell because I can smell it, and I do not mean anything rude in saying that, but it is true.

I have had people test me to see if I could actually tell by odour and they were amazed. I have also been married for over 10 years and my wife can also confirm this. It does not matter where I am, home, work, the busy mall ect… it just does not matter. There is no direct correlation with individual familiarity even. Not even perfume can mask the odour to the point that I can not pick it up on some level.

Can anyone explain why this might be, I have tried numerous times to figure out why, but have had no luck.

It is not an issue for me because I am use to it, but still very curious as to why.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2008
Experienced User
i can smell it if they're er ... dirty and quite close

although aye it doesn't really make sense... i'm not sure why it even has a smell, it's pretty much just blood right? but i agree with you that it does
|

replied March 12th, 2008
Experienced User
I don't get that any more...when I was a kid and my elder sister hit pubirty, I dreadded going into the bathroom cus it would have this distinct smell when she's having her period.

Guys...keep in mind that these sort of things, are all signals of when a female is ready to mate. It is just more evident in the animal world as that is really the only way the males can tell which one in the herd is in heat. ( I can just imagine a male Lion going...soo...sweatheart...you ovulating or should I do it with cassey tonight? )

I think most men's senses has dulled towards it as it's not necissary for us to still go around smelling chick's backsides (Not to mention that the repurcussions of that might maybe...ughm...hurt)...

As for my sister's smell...it's a well known fact that siblings smell is off putting to each other to avoid incest Wink...
|

replied March 12th, 2008
Experienced User
"Guys...keep in mind that these sort of things, are all signals of when a female is ready to mate. "

totally agree with you on this statement. I actually get hornier when my wife is having her period. SOmething in the body telling you to go mate.
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2008
Supporter
Maybe it can be correlated to a female cat being in heat? Can't male cats pick up on an odour? I wouldn't be surprised if it happens frequently among men.
|

replied March 14th, 2008
Experienced User
Scientifically speaking, as long as a woman isn't using contraception pills or something, a woman naturally releases hormones while she is ovulating. Guy's are supposed to be attracted to this. You may just be more able to detect the hormones that are supposed to attract you than other guys.
|

replied April 5th, 2008
I think it is called fermones, not sure of that spelling though Smile and i agree, cept I am pretty certain that a woman can't get pregnant when they are having their period, so that must be what sets us apart? Animals mate when they are bleeding, right?? But women can't get pregnant when they have their period, I could be wrong, just have heard that said many of time and I know it in myself.
|

replied May 5th, 2008
re:hightech s query
hey im 26 and have also always been able 2 tell when a woman in having her period , i always called it an under smell , i always thought i was alone in this until the local radio station where i am from had a whole show about it . there r a lot of us out there and its not just periods its all types of things try it with your friends u can detect smells at a much greater distance than most like when some1 has just brushed their teeth naturally u smell it 15 or 20 ft away , but others cant smell it until said person has come within striking distance u can email me if u want at nibiru12th@yahoo but i rarely check them.
ur not alone
|

replied December 25th, 2008
Hightech
I have been able to smell the same thing that you are smelling since as long as i can remember (23 year old male). I have told my wife about it and can not come up with the words to explain to her what it is im smelling. She always thought that it was putting her down, like it was a "bad smell" but i try and tell her that it is not a good or bad smell, its just a smell. We were just now talking about it because i got "the whiff", so we though we'd google it and see what we found. The 1st thing that i saw was your comment. I thought i was the only one out there that was able to pick up on that certain smell. The smell doesn't necessarily turn me on, or turn me off, it's just neutral.

I talked to my father-in-law (a Dr.) he said that there was a intresting study done some 20 odd years ago at the Universty Of Utah related to this. I asked him if he could find out some more information on it.

I would really like to talk to you more about this if you could please write me i would appreciate it.
|

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2008
Experienced User
i know this is men's chat. sorry for interrupting. what you are smelling is most likely iron.
jasmine
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2009
Supporter
i am a female and ive never heard of this before. very interesting!

i thought that when a women wears tampons you cant smell anything vs. using pads.

when im on my menses i didnt like being touched, and i made sure my b/f at the time couldn't smell anything.
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2009
Experienced User
Does this mean I am gay? Haha I can always smell when a female is menstruating besides family member's .. like walking through the mall it grosses me out .. how come I can smell it? Does that mean I want to mate with fellow females lol.
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2009
Supporter
i just think that means you have a really good noise. maybe you can use this to your advantage. some women, not all get moody around that time. so if your in a relationship, you know when to bite your tongue knowing your chick could be moody and sensitive.
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2009
Experienced User
i think it's somewhat natural for women to be able to pick up on this smell. for one, we smell it on ourselves, secondly, we're in women's bathrooms all the time and it's fairly prevalent there...it's not like we don't have enough experience smelling it.

worriedauzzi, like yourself, it grosses me out. it is natural, but just highly undesirable to me. i doubt your gay because you can pick up on it. now, on the other hand, if you got turned on by it, then that might mean...

haha.
jasmine
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2009
Experienced User
haha no .. not at all turned on .. i actually avoid public toilets as the smell of blood is always putrid even when friend's say they smell nothing. Yeah when I was pregnant my sense of smell was amazing ..
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
period smell
i am a female teenager and i can smell it when others are on their periods too.. i think i would have to almost 100% agree with the mating thing.. and also i have been taught in health class that a woman 'can' get pregnant while she is on her period. but ill be walking through the halls at school or just sitting in a class and i can smell it.. its usually a very bad smell tho.... so maybe it has everything to do with mating.. it might smell bad to other females and smell good or neutral for males..... wish i new more tho
|

replied July 26th, 2010
Fortunate Minority?
I am a 30 y/o man and I first noticed that I could smell when a woman was menstruating when I was in my early 20's. It's a very strong, pungent smell that’s very hard to describe. I agree with the previous commenter when she said it’s most likely iron, it’s definitely an iron-like smell. For me the smell is similar to the way a 9-Volt battery tastes when you put it on your tongue. Again, it’s very hard to describe but definitely not a pleasant smell. It can be so strong that it makes it difficult to sit next to someone for an extended period of time (like in a crowded movie theater for instance). This is not the result of being dirty and there's really nothing a woman can do about it. My theory is that it's caused by a natural change in hormones and on a very basic, primal level we are mammals who emit pheromones intended to attract the opposite sex. The part that baffles me, if my theory is true, is that if this is when women are the most “in the mood” to have sex then why is the smell so unappealing? You would think it would be the opposite. Fortunately only a really small percentage (it appears) of the population can smell this. Does anyone know the approximate percentage?
|

replied July 27th, 2010
Experienced User
its actually a matter of being prone to the odour of the cycle. i for one thing knows when my wife has her period. its true that the smell stays in the bathroom and sometimes there is a smelly exhaust of odor that they secrete. so, being used to smelling htat odor is one way that you get prone to it and become an expert eventually over knowing that kind if smell when they have theri period.
|

replied October 23rd, 2010
Scientific Clarification
I'm a female molecular biology major whose roommates' boyfriend says he can smell menstruation. The blood is actually the lining of the uterus, clearing out at the end of the menstrual cycle. There is no egg in there, and the uterus is expelling everything, so there is no way for a woman to get pregnant during her period. This is true for all mammals: going into heat is when an egg is released from the ovaries. This happens once a year for some mammals, but about a week before the period starts in humans (so every month). While it is in the ovarian tubes, but hasn't reached the uterus, it can be fertilized by sperm.
Kolo
There are a lot of hormonal cues related to position in the menstrual cycle which other people can sense: women can sense these (unconsciously) so that their periods can sync up. It makes sense that some people would also be sensitive to molecular cues related to women's periods
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2011
Supernose
I am a 42 year old woman and have bad experience with this smell during menstruation. The boy sitting beside me would react rudely that he smell something bad on me and would tell the other officemates. At that time no one knew what the smell was, even me. Because have a very clean hygiene. I would cry in humiliation so I researched what the smell was or was is just that boy with the weird scene of smell. As I notice he is the only one who smells me and reacts. These forum is very useful in informing me what it is. Though I still try to keep away from that boy with that supernose everytime I have menstruation. Of course its hard to explain to a unmarried boy what the smell is.
|
12 >>