Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Woke up with left chest pains

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
Hi,

Today I woke up and was feeling pain in my left chest. It is not painful to the touch, and I feel it mostly while walking and standing/leaning in certain ways. Leaning forward and to the right while sitting down or standing can also cause the pain most of the time.

I'm not having any other noticeable symptoms. I slept on my stomach with my left arm up and under my pillow. I would write this off as muscular pain but for some reason it feels slightly deeper, and I thought those pains would be painful to the touch.

I'm a 22 year old male, not overweight and am currently taking trazodone 50mg per night to sleep. Also, I think the pain is located fairly close to the breastbone on the left side.

I'll also note I've had the pains for nearly 5 hours now. Depending on how I'm sitting I'll feel nothing until I get up and move.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2012
The fact that the pain is related to movement and assuming certain positions certainly defines it as a musculoskeletal kind of pain. Pain from the heart or lungs would not be movement related in this way. You do not say that the pain is related to breathing, and that speaks against any origin from the lining around the lungs.
The conclusion that the pain is musculoskeletal doesn't tell us its more exact cause, but I am unable to pin it down more. If the pain persists, by all means check in with your physician about it.
I have no experience with trazodone, and thought its usage was primarily with emotional depression.
Please be aware that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.