Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Woke up with headache

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I have very frequent headaches, but this is noticeably different. Monday morning, I woke up with a headache, and it persisted. Tuesday, it was worse and giving an occasional painful throb which was very distracting. During one such occurrence, I was riding my bike to work, got distracted by the pain, and hit a curb, flipped over my handle bars but managed to twist on my side as a knee-jerk reaction. My knee was (okay, IS) banged up pretty badly, and I took a small knock to the back of the head when I rolled. As the day went on, the headache became so bad that my eyes were tearing up, and I was getting sleepy. Everyone knows that you're not supposed to nap after those circumstances, no matter how light the head knock was. Besides, a teleconference is a terrible time to sleep. In any case, a large tender welt developed on top of a ripple that goes along my skull (always been there, kinda like a ripple in a piece of fabric, it goes all the way across). So, I figured I must have hit my head harder than I imagined, and the already then splitting headache overpowered the pain. So, I made sure I didn't lean my head back when frustrated, to getting the last sips out of my pop can so the goose egg wouldn't hurt worse. Yesterday, same thing, but woke up with less sleep cos I kept rolling on my back, and onto the welt. I nursed my head, used a hot compress, took 2 or 3 Tylenol (or Excedrin, Advil, or whatever I have in my travel bottle right now) every 6-8 hours, and the lump got firmer and more tender. The headache persisted. I figured it must be like cystic acne or something. That stuff is wicked painful. Anyone ever had a Pilonidal Cyst? OUCH!

In any case, last night, it got SO painful I couldn't sleep at all, no matter how exhausted I was. I couldn't lay down or the throbbing would get worse. I tried propping myself up against the wall, but that strained my neck, which also started the throbbing. However, I did notice something. I took tweezers had ripped out some hair at the apex of the lump, hoping that if it was monster acne that this would free the clogged pore. I also lanced the sucker with a boiled Xacto blade. I don't use anything heated under flame. It's faster, but you gotta clean the charred stuff out before applying the antiseptic, or you have to wipe it off the blade/needle, and the item cools down during that time. Before anyone freaks out, I have NEVER in my life had a problem with it. I only lance blind acne that's larger than a quarter, and I have never gotten an infection, and only after a day or two of hot compresses yields no result. I don't just run around shoving hot bits of metal into my flesh for the fun of it. It freaking hurts.

So, I lanced the welt. Nothing oozed out all night, so I either missed the deposit (or pus sack), or it's not acne. However, the pain hasn't gotten any worse, AND the welt has changed. It's gone from a spherical shape to a cylindrical shape. Like it's puddling. It's just as painful as before, still throbbing, so I don't know what to make of it. Oh, and from lack of rest, my neck is now extremely stiff.

If anyone has good advice, or at the very least an explanation of what this thing is/how to make the pain lessen, I'd LOVE to hear from you. Also, can anyone speculate if this would have happened even if I hadn't bumped my head? It really didn't seem that bad, but who knows?
Did you find this post helpful?
|