Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Withdrawal from cutting ?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
User Profile
Ok, so last week I tried to stop cutting. My youth pastor made me a deal, I stop cutting he doesnt tell my parents. And we would work through this together. Sounded good I thought...it was more difficult than I ever thought it could be. It scared me how badley I needed to cut. After just 7 hours!

Ok, so somehow I lasted three days, not cutting. But I found myself resourting to other bad habbits. I didnt want to eat, and I barley did those three days. I was a nervous reck. I was completly jumpy, I always felt like someone was touching me and poking me at random places, all day everyday. Everytime it felt like someone touched me, the shock I felt was so much that it looked like I was twitching, and I acually got sick because it was so uncomfortable...

Is that normal? I can only describe it as withdraw, but it was only three days! Is that weird, or has anyone else experienced this as well?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 8th, 2009
Cutting Withdrawl
Dear Gracie. Ive really struggled with cutting issues as well... and the withdrawl factor of it all is real. I know exactly what you are going through.

Youre not going through a weird time. Its perfectally normal, and I am feeling it too.Write me, we can talk cause Im not too keen on putting all of my life online.
|

i have the same issue look dont worry wat i do is take a razor and carve the wall or do sumthing productive talking also help ull be fine we can all get through this
|

User Profile
Supporter
What you're feeling is normal withdrawls from cutting. It's just like weening off a medication. However, if the depression is too difficult to deal with and you feel like you might cut again, you really need to see a doctor who can help you. It's good that you confided in someone. Hang in there.
|

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2009
Experienced User
One problem with that. My parents dont know. So going to see a doctor is kinda out of the question...
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2009
I've gone through the same things. I'm 21 now and i've been a cutter on and off since the beginning of high school. You never truely get away from wanting to harm yourself... and if you can't cut you'll do it another way. Something really bad happened to me a couple of days ago and i found myself, hands shaking, trying to slit my wrists because i had just lost the greatest person in the world to me. But after that, i didn't feel like eating either... all i've had in 2 days has been a bowl of cereal, no liquids. For the jumpyness, i didn't/don't have that problem. how long have you been cutting before you stopped?

~Blue
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Hey Gracie012
It's a little different from withdrawl but from where you are it sucks just as much. You're feeling the anxiety that you had previously processed by cutting. Now is an excellent time to look into a healthy ritual to replace cutting. You may get involved in sports or simply take up running or swimming, some activity that punishes your body constructively and gives you an outlet for your frustrations. If you're not up for athletic stuff try writing a journal or getting into art. You have a lot of sufferring inside of you and there are a lot of ways besides cutting to let that out.

Depending on how long and how frequently you've been cutting you may also be messing the endorphin high associated with your pain. This can be a lot more like addiction withdrawl as your body is actively expecting that high. The best way to meet your body's need for endorphins is just elevated physical activity. If you want to cut, go out for a jog or beat a punching bag or go up a climbing wall.

What you're feeling in either case is going to get much easier within a short time. Your body is designed to adapt to new things, just like it got used to cutting it will get used to not cutting.

Hang in there.
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2009
Experienced User
Blue-
I think I have been cutting for 8 or 9 months now. I'm 15 going to be 16 next thursday.

Wolf-
Okay, I'll try the physical stuff, though im not really into things like that. I really love ceramics, and I want to take a class on it here at the high school, but I have to wait awhile Sad But I think that would be something very fun and constructive...I dont know. I'm not really into any of this though. I dont want to stop cutting, but im trying for my friends...
|

replied March 10th, 2010
I recently stopped cutting, about 5 days ago, and the withdrawal is horrid for me!!!! I keeep wantting to cry and I get rly rly rly angry, and I get hot/cold flashes and I keep having to move around. But what I do to keep from cutting is i use rubber bands, or I put ice on my arms or I run....all of those things release the same endorphins as cutting, and though it's not the same......it's better than self harm.
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2010
Experienced User
Hey-

I used to be cutter (for about 2 years) but quit two years ago. Cutting can be an addiction like anything else that numbs emotional pain.

Something I learned is do not use rubber bands or ice as a substitute. Snapping rubber bands can also be considered self harm and causes scrapes, bruises and sometimes slight cuts when snapped hard enough. People don't realize how hard they're snapping the rubber band.

I've had a lot of accidental close calls. I accidentally slipped and went too deep one day and had to emergency page my psychiatrist since I was too afraid to tell anyone else but knew I needed help fast. I was afraid he'd do "blow it out of proportion" but instead, he kept me on the phone asking me questions. He did tell my parents but now I know he had to (even if they do snap easily). Afterward, we worked on finding other ways to cope. You don't need a wake up call to get help!

I haven't cut or wanted to in two years. Of course you slip up a couple of times but that happens in any recovery. Find someone you trust to talk to and find an activity you enjoy or your faith to fill the "void".

I still have the scars and I hate it. I cover them up with concealer and thank God most are fading. I honestly wish I would've waited it out as a teen. It will get better.
|

replied July 30th, 2011
i need help... i can't find my scissors. & i've stopped cutting for awhile but the pain has been aching me to again. i feel dizzy and i'm about to faint and im panicing i dont know what to do. or how to stop.
|
Quick Reply