Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Will Flagyl treat a UTI?

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
Will Flagyl treat a UTI?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
sararafliff,

Yes, Flagyl is often prescribed to treat an UTI. However, you have to make sure that is what is causing the problem. It will not treat chronic cystitis or infections from organisms other than bacteria. Before treating yourself, you should probably be seen by someone who can make sure that you do indeed have a bacterial UTI. The use of antibiotics inappropriately can lead to serious problems, such as reactions to the medicine and the develop of resistant bacteria.
|

replied December 5th, 2011
Actually, you are right and wrong. Flagyl is used to treat UTI's as well as amaebic infections such as Giardia. Maybe you should do your research before you start to tell people what something is before you really hurt that person. They could have a congenital issue and taking this medication could kill them as well.
|

replied April 5th, 2012
Flagyl use for UTI
Actually, Flagyl is not the preferred antibiotic to treat a UTI. Usually Trimox or Amoxycillin is prescribed. Flagyl is a very potent antibiotic and should only be prescribed in cases of advanced bacterial infections or in cases where the infection is not responding to lower dose antibiotics. I have 13 years of experience working in a GYN office.
|

replied April 5th, 2012
I would like to clarify that my statement should have read "Usually Trimox (or more commonly called Amoxycillin) is prescribed". After re-reading that I realized that my wording might cause some confusion. If you are looking for other medications Bactrim is also very effective.
|

replied March 22nd, 2013
I was diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis and a UTI...was prescribed Flagyl AND Bactrim....will one treat both issues....or should I take them both? I don't want to take them both together if ONE can treat both issues. Confused!
|
Tags: uti
Quick Reply