Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

will Ambien, Ibuprofen PM, and hydroco/apap affect tests?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
I am going to get an (29 days after Possible exposure) HIV DNA by PCR TEST tomorrow morning. This weekend I took an Ambien, Ibuprofen PM, and On Monday i took Two hydroco/apap pain pills (for a previous Injury). Will these affect an HIV DNA by PCR test?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A32755
Welcome to e health forum.

Taking any form of medications prior to any testing for HIV, does not affect the test results in any way.

But, since it has been 28 days (4 weeks)and the window period is over , I would advice you to do the 4th generation HIV antibody (ELISA) test, instead of the HIV DNA PCR test.

Then once the test results are available, you should consult with your doctor for proper assessment and advice regarding retesting.

In case, you had a high risk exposure, you may have to repeat the same test (4th gen ELISA test) every 4 weeks , at least until 12 weeks for conclusive results.

In case, of low risk exposures, then your doctor may counsel you and let you know if the recent test is conclusive or not.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.