Medical Questions > Parenting > Toddlers Forum

Why is Iron (Drops) making my son's teeth black?!

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
User Profile
Recently, I have found out my son has low Iron. (He's 20 months old.) He has been taking Iron drops to substitute the Iron he has lost and also to bring it back up to the "Normal Range". The past couple of days I have noticed his teeth are turning black, like black stains or streaks. And I know it's the Iron doing it because everytime it touches something it stains it. (Ex: If my son spills it, it stains where-ever it lands; His cups/bottles are stained.) I don't know why it is turning his teeth black but there is no way he will let me brush his teeth! He won't let me get close to his mouth or he will have a fit! My concerns are: Why is it making his teeth black && is there any advice on how to get my son to open his mouth and let me brush his teeth? (Also, I know by this age, he should be brushing his own teeth but he has been behind on EVEYTHING...long story)...

Any advice or similar situations would help!

Thanks, Nikki
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Since your son is 20 months old, I would highly recommend starting to brush his teeth. You can start by brushing your own teeth infront of him often, or even taking a doll or some animal with teeth and pretend to brush. Make it into a fun activity. Children as young as 2 years old have needed crowns and root canals. It's best to start asap.

The stains on his teeth do not mean that they are decayed or harmed. You can try using a little baking soda to clean it off.

On the question of the iron supplement...maybe you should have his iron levels checked again to make sure that the supplement is still necessary. He should be able to eat regular foods and changes in diet can make a supplement unecessary.

I hope that helps.
|

replied August 3rd, 2009
Why did the teeth been black . What should we do to get it white
But how about if a boy 15 years old teeth is black and already 5 years. What should we do to get it white back
|

replied February 14th, 2010
IRON TURNING CHILD TEETH BLACK
Well my child is anemic and i have an african doctor and they prescribed my child iron drops also and informed me that it will turn my child teeth black and anything it touches because of the chemical balance in iron. so my doctor told me to give my child the iron like this: 1tsp. iron and 1 tsp. of orange juice mixed: to stop the iron from turning my child teeth black. i've been doing this for 2years and it works still a bright white smile. and i brush my child teeth 2 times a day everyday and my child wants to do it by thier self with no help and reminds me to brush also. i hope this helps you as well as it has worked for me. good luck.......
|

replied April 9th, 2012
How can I give my 2yr old daughter the iron drop
How can I give my 2yr old daughter the iron drop if she won't take them. I've tried giving her the drops by its self, with juice, mixed in with her egg, in pancakes and no luck. What can I do to make her take it??
|
Tags: mouth, back brush
Quick Reply