Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Why does everything feel fake and dreamlike?

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I've been like this for several years now. It used to be just on and off, but now I feel it all the time. I don't know why, but I don't feel real and nobody else that I talk to seems real either. Actually everything doesn't seem real, I'm not even sure if I'm just a being on the outside of myself looking in from a foggy window or if I am my own actual being among many others. I used to cut myself hard for the pain and the sight of blood, both of which I was ironically terrified of. I haven't self harmed for several weeks now and I've taken up drawing, but I don't even seem very good at that either. I don't seem to be good at anything I try. I'm a very quiet person, the kind of person you don't notice in class. I go to high school currently. Unlike the majority of the boys (and girls) at my school, I'm not interested in having intimate relationships or sex or anything like that. I like to get my schoolwork done. After that, I have nothing to do. My life is school. When I am done with school, I just sit in a corner in a pathetic little ball and wait. Not even my own parents notice me, and I wonder when the last time they too me they loved me was.

I've been feeling really...and I mean REALLY terrible lately. It's so bad I don't be know how to describe it. I don't have any motive to do anything at all. Sometimes I just sit and physically wince at my own thoughts of how terrible of a person I am and all the wrongs I have done. That's another thing, whenever I let my mind wander, it always goes over the bad things I have done throughout my entire life. I can't stop it, and it's painful to sit there while my own mind makes me watch every single terrible feed I have done, every argument, every lost friend, everything. During this especially I feel unreal and like a person looking at myself through fog.

I don't believe in god.

Someone please help me, I can't take this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 13th, 2012
You are having anxiety and symptoms of depersonalization/derealization. I would suggest you look into the Linden method or the Depersonalization Recovery: Total Integration Method. Both can be found on the piratebay if you don't have the money to buy them. Good luck, I am currently dealing with dp/dr too and know how difficult it can be to live with.
|

replied April 8th, 2017
I feel the same way. I thought I was the only one.
It started on and off, but now it gets so bad I need to scream. I used to cut, I recently stopped... I just want to feel real. I also have voices in my head. Am I crazy!? They say I am. They tell me to do bad things....
anyway, feeling fake hurts mentally. That's why I used to cut. The pain was AMAZING and the blood was a bonus. I wish I could cut again, but if I do my dad will get me a counsellor, and they wouldn't understand what I'm going through! I really do feel fake or like everything is a dream. Don't judge but I think of something and it happens... but I just want to feel real
|

replied April 8th, 2017
I've been like this since 2012...
|