Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Why do I wake up and hallucinate?

HI, I'm 16. At night I wake up and hallucinate. For example, last night I woke up and was having anxiety because I had hundreds of caterpillars on me. I was running my hand over the bed and covers trying to push them off and felt like I couldnt breathe. I know that I wasnt fully awake, it's like i'm awake, but i'm dreaming. I normally remember what I do or what happens the next day, but at the time it's happening, i'm not fully mentally present. It only happens at night. It also happens when I start to get really drowsy, my boyfriend sleeps over and tells me the next day, "Do you remember last night, you just got up and went lay on the couch and then jumped up all of a sudden" When it happens when i'm sleeping, I normally jump up real fast. I really dont know how else to explain it but that the next day I remember it, but while it's happening I am not fully there, it's like i'm dreaming, but i dont have to be asleep for it to happen, I can be awake but really drowsy and it will still happen. I'm not currently on any medication except Seasonique. I used to be on Paxil, Abilify, and Prozac. Sometimes if i'm drowsy, or suddenly wake up, it looks like the floor is rising or falling, or a door is shrinking, things like that. I first notice this when I started taking Paxil but I have been off of Paxil for months.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper TaylorRene
|

replied April 14th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied November 10th, 2011
hallucinations at night
I will be fast asleep then suddely sit upright, I will see things in the room, then in seconds they are gone. My ex has turned into chucky, an alien, and once I asked him why hes plugged into the light, there was a wire plugged into his head from the light, then in seconds gone. its been happening since I was little im now 42, Ive never been on any medication. Every night I hardley get any sleep. People think its funny but its worrying me, ive never been to the doctors as it does sound a bit stupid. Also sometimes in the day something will pop into my head about someone, then it comes true, I sense things then they come true.
|

replied July 13th, 2012
I have this issue as well, Ive been diagnosed with sleep hallucinite (probably not how you spell it) that quite helpful, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! It's seriously filtrating cause no one understands!
|

replied July 25th, 2012
i get this too, thinking for example there where rats all above me on my sheets, pushing them of and nothings there!i think anxiety and stress make it more likely and more frequant. but thank god there not anything like hallucinating when paraniod which seems real the day too and can mess ur days up and get u believing all kinds of paraniod !**@!.hallucinations before or after sleep are not really anything too worry about allthough can mess up sleep patterns.
|

replied September 13th, 2012
yes i have the same problem, only i see like terminator looking robots standing in the middle of my room. They look so real, and im terrified, but i fully awake myself and they are gone. Other time i wake up and i see glowing symbols all over my wall, and just last night i slightly woke up and saw a demonic looking face on my wall, it was just so scary, i wanted to cry, but then it went away when i fully awake. I am 23 years old and this just started happening about a year ago
|

replied September 13th, 2012
what you are experiencing is probably narcolepsy you can look it up but you can hallucinate right when your falling asleep or waking up and body is paralyzed.
|