Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Why do I smell honey when I sneeze?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi,
For as long as I can remember, after I sneeze I have smelled a smell that could be described as honey or lavender, but it's also sort of musky. This doesn't always happen when I sneeze, it seems to happen more often when my nose is already pretty much clear.

I recently searched on the internet for what caused this, and although there are many people asking about it, there are no answers beyond speculation (it could be histamines, it could be a chemical that some bacteria secrete, etc.)

Some people posting about it have claimed that other people can smell it when they sneeze, which leads me to believe that it's the smell of some substance that's being released into the air.

A search for "honey sneeze" will turn up several people asking why it happens, and it even has its own urban dictionary page.

I was hoping a medical professional could finally provide an answer to a question that so many people have been asking.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 10th, 2013
Honey badger
The reason is because people like me and you are sweet and we are then chosen few to rule the world.... that's just my theory. I get a strong smell of baby powder when i sneeze.
|

replied July 18th, 2013
I have this too! When I sneeze I smell a musky, honey smell. When I tell people they think I'm crazy. You're not alone.
|