Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Why do I smell exhaust fumes no matter where I am?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I smell exhaust fumes even when I am no where near a vehicle. No one else can smell it. Sometimes it is so strong it makes my eyes water and burn
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kyoung61
|
Users who thank grammyof5 for this post: Inandout 

replied August 14th, 2012
Smell of exhaust fumes anywhere all the time
Is there anyone that understands this...It would sure be appreciated to have an understanding...This is been going on for about 4 months now for me. It started with just smelling exhaust fumes almost constantly...and now added to the smell is that my nose burns and my eyes too now...It is so strong I unconsciously breathe shallow because I naturally would not want to breathe the fumes..and or get away from it.....and I have to make myself breathe deep and remind myself that this is not real exhaust fumes...But it SURE does SMELL like it!!!!!! It makes me so sick to my stomach.It all seems so strange...and no one really believes me. Like who would?? Ya know? It makes me feel a little better to know I am not the only one... I am looking for med insurance now.
|

replied August 14th, 2012
Exhaust Fumes
I am trying to take notice of what is going on when I start smelling this.... weather, food I have eaten, etc. I know this is going to sound weird, but, I am noticing that it is happening when I have a large amount of Dairy. One day I had cottage cheese and fruit for lunch, then cheese, and later a large glass of milk at bedtime.... I could smell that and my eyes were on fire. I am going to pay very very close attention to see if it happens again when I have dairy, if so, it may be an allergic reaction.
I have also been told by friends that I have a lot of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia... I was going to see if this was one of the symptoms as well. I hope it is dairy, I can control that...lol
Thanks, 1harvestgirl, for sharing. I was beginning to wonder if I too, was alone in this. It is really really annoying.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.

replied August 30th, 2012
I have had the same problem of smelling exhaust fumes when I breathe for the last week. I am getting headaches and am nauseated because of it. I saw my physician yesterday. He told me that the most common cause of the exhaust smell is from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). It is especially severe when combined with sleep apnea. He said that the smell is stronger when I am relaxed and doing things like reading, sitting at the computer, sleeping, etc because I am taking shallower breaths through my nose with my mouth closed. This allows the "exhaust" concentration to be stronger. I have noticed that it isn't as strong when I am talking or walking around doing things. He suggested a scope to check the esophagus and may require a biopsy and surgery. I'm wondering if the antibiotics that I took for the last 10 days contributed to this because I was struggling with reflux while I was taking them. I think I will wait for a couple of weeks to see if it goes away before I continue with tests.

He also said that it could be problems with my gallbladder and it's effect on my liver. This would require an ultrasound. However, I didn't feel any pain when he pressed on my gallbladder and my blood tests did not show any irregularities with my liver so he figured it was probably the GERD issue. If I hadn't discovered that other people were experiencing the same problem, I don't know that I would have gone to see my doctor. Thanks everyone!
|

replied September 6th, 2012
kyoung61 - Thanks for posting...this was extremely helpful Smile
|

replied January 25th, 2013
Smell of exhaust
I have had the smell of exhaust for the last 4 weeks. It's stronger at times and actually makes my throat hurt and eyes burn. I haven't had a problem with reflux and my gall bladder was removed 3 years ago. I have no idea what it could be caused by. I have a very high deductible health insurance so going to a doctor can't happen. I'm just glad someone else has this as I thought I was losing my mind.
|

replied March 13th, 2013
Smell of Exhaust
I'm so glad I found this site. I thought I was the only one who this was happening to. It's true; I smell it more when I'm sitting @ my computer @ work, or about to go to sleep. I developed a cough x 1 week ago that's gradually getting worse. I just recently started taking Ranitidine for my GERD. Coinicidence? I'm not sure.
|

replied October 22nd, 2013
First time experiencing this exhaust smell
My first time experiencing this exhaust smell was this morning in my room. The smell was so strong that my nose was burning and I got a headache from it. First I checked all my electronics in the room, then the windows and checked out in the back yard. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from?!

Now later tonight I entered my room and smelled the exhaust fumes again! I was going crazy trying to figure out where it was coming from. I decided to google it and this page among many other sites came up. I am so glad that I found some what of an answer, but now I am very concerned. I still consider myself to be a young healthy adult, although my diet is very poor. I will be seeking medical help in hopes that this is nothing too serious. Thank you everyone for all your information regard this weird symptom.
|

replied October 22nd, 2013
I smell exhaust when there is none.
I started smelling exhaust about 2 years ago. I mentioned it in passing to my GP & she referred me to a neurologist. I had a brain scan, EEG & an MRI. Although nothing showed up, after a lot of questions & a full examination, the neurologist diagnosed me with temporal lobe seizures. This is a mild form of epilepsy. No I don't have physical seizures, my symptoms are the exhaust smell & I have deja vu more often than is considered normal. The seizures 'may' develop into a more serious form of epilepsy but they may not. I was relieved to get an answer to the problem, though I am very sick of smelling exhaust, it can last for hours at a time. Sometimes it goes away for weeks & then returns every day for weeks. It is so strong at times it makes my eyes sting & water, & it hurts my nose. It is so real it's hard to believe it's just a trick of the brain. If you have this problem, I would suggest you get it checked out. There can be quite a few causes, mine is just one of them.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied December 27th, 2013
Hi
Everything you are experienceing my husband and I are TOO!
It seems to come in waves mostly as soon as the sun sets up stairs in our bedroom.
It is NOT a body health issue if my husband and I are experiencing these smells
at the same time.
May I ask you where do you live , State, or City.
We live in Hawaii.
After reading your letter it was like Deja vu, I did the same thing. As soon as I smelled it, 8 pm went all around the inside of our house, cabinets, smelled the walls, NOTHING. Then went outside, We live on a hill top, there were NO cars around, but I did here what sounded sort of like a quite helicopter??.
We are not near a airport, we are secluded and it usually is very quiet,
so quiet that I can here if a car is coming up the road.
There was nothing except waves now and then of that ODOUR????
Carbon monoxide
CAR EXHAUST! (is the closest we can come to describing it)
If anyone else is smelling this please lets figure this out together.
Doctors are only guessing, don't become there LAB RAT.
|

replied March 9th, 2014
Exhaust Smell
I have also been smelling gasoline engine exhaust fumes. I eat a lot of dairy, but it is all organic, and all natural food, low in sugar and grains. I consider myself to be in excellent health. Do you still have this issue? Do you eat dairy? What about vitamins? We could compare.
|

replied March 20th, 2014
Exhaust fumes
I finally asked my doctor about this (again). He looked at my chart and concluded that I was taking too much garlic (supplement). I like garlic in my food, so I guess I was consuming too much. I cut my supplement intake down to 1/4 of what I was taking... mostly by trial... I was taking 4,000 mg per day, I went to 3,000 and could still smell the odor. I went down to 2,000 and finally at 1,000 mg I can not smell the exhaust fumes.
Once in a while it will come back, but it is usually when I've had Italian food or when I have eaten something with a lot of garlic in it.
Hope this helps you.
|

replied May 29th, 2014
I smell exhaust fumes all the time, why?
kyoung61 wrote:
I have had the same problem of smelling exhaust fumes when I breathe for the last week. I am getting headaches and am nauseated because of it. I saw my physician yesterday. He told me that the most common cause of the exhaust smell is from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). It is especially severe when combined with sleep apnea. He said that the smell is stronger when I am relaxed and doing things like reading, sitting at the computer, sleeping, etc because I am taking shallower breaths through my nose with my mouth closed. This allows the "exhaust" concentration to be stronger. I have noticed that it isn't as strong when I am talking or walking around doing things. He suggested a scope to check the esophagus and may require a biopsy and surgery. I'm wondering if the antibiotics that I took for the last 10 days contributed to this because I was struggling with reflux while I was taking them. I think I will wait for a couple of weeks to see if it goes away before I continue with tests.

He also said that it could be problems with my gallbladder and it's effect on my liver. This would require an ultrasound. However, I didn't feel any pain when he pressed on my gallbladder and my blood tests did not show any irregularities with my liver so he figured it was probably the GERD issue. If I hadn't discovered that other people were experiencing the same problem, I don't know that I would have gone to see my doctor. Thanks everyone!

Hi I am also having the same problem I guess I am not alone. After a few weeks it goes away. I am on medication-for COPD & Emphasema. The meds are for a nebulizer. I do also take Combivient Respimat but not sure if this has anything to do with it. It get's so bad that it makes me cough badly. HELP!!!!!!!!!
|

replied May 29th, 2014
I smell exhaust fumes and it is driving me bonkers!!!!! Noone else will smell them. It doesn't matter where I am at, I smell it. Sometimes it is so bad that it makes me cough-badly, or sneeze. I have sinus problems-allergies, but nothing out of the ordinary. I do take medication for emphasema (meds for nebulizer) which is Albuterol & Ibrupropium, and the inhaler I sometimes use is Combivent Respimat. I do take Advil PM's at night to help me sleep-usually 3-4 a night, HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!! Smile Pam Nix
|
Quick Reply