Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Why do i smell down there?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Hi, i'm only 17 and i have a weird smell down there. It's not something that just came out of nowhere, i've had it for awhile now.. I just want to know how to make it go away. It's not an STD or anything, I just highly doubt that. I'm very clean, I always stay shaved down there, not completely all the time but for most of the time, so I don't know what else it can be! I just really need someone's help guys..please! Rolling Eyes
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 24th, 2010
Experienced User
Are you sure it's not a normal smell. We all have a scent and 90% of the times it's a totally normal scent.

Is the smell fishy?

Does it smell through your clothes?

Does your bathroom or shower smell bad after you've used it?

If the answers to those questions are no, then your smell may be perfectly normal. The only way to be complety sure though, is to see a doctor. I know this kind of thing can be embarrassing, but it could be serious if you really smell BAD. We don't walk around smelling other women so what's normal?

Even if we bathe regularly we can still experience odor, not because we are nasty, but because it's nature.

Are you sure the odor is indeed coming from your vagina? Sometimes our urine can have a strong scent and make us thing it's our genitals.

Are you overweight? Being so can cause perspiration that causes us to smell, but either way here are a few tips.

1. Clean your vaginal area atleast twice daily with a cleanser and warm water. I have heard that it's best for women to sit in a tub to get the vagina cleaner.

2. Wear cotton panties. They can help with perspiration. They allow your vajayjay to breath.

3. Keep a vaginal cleasing wipe with you. Once or twice a day after using the bathroom, use a wipe to freshen up.

4. Watch what you eat. Certain foods especially garlic can effect the way our private area smells.

If you still think you have a terribble smell, see a doctor. There is a STI (sexually transmitted infection) that can cause a woman's vagina to smell dreadful. So you should see a doctor. Even virgins can contract STD's and STI's. I wish I had more information, but this is the best I can do. I hope this helps.
|
Users who thank computergirl for this post: supb 

I just feel like it's not normal! it's not a fishy smell. It's just like..weird i can't explain it, and sometimes i feel like i can smell it through my pants. I tried wearing pantiliners for the longest time to feel cleaner because i'll always have a little discharge in my underwear. but no, i am not overweight. and i read about keeping babywipes on me and using those instead of toilet paper, so i think i'll try that and see what happens. but thank you very much!
|

replied April 7th, 2014
I have the same problem. I live in the UK so i have been to the GP to get it checked out several times and they said that it sounds normal. I have done a swab and it came back fine. My discharge itself doesn't smell but when i am out and i sit for too long or whatever, i can feel a smell coming from down there. It's not fishy. And i don't think i have any STI's because i got checked and it came out fine. If someone could please help, it would be great.
|

Experienced User
Yes try those tips, but since you can smell it through your pants and you always have a discharge, now I'm certain you should see your doctor. You should make sure this isn't some type of infection.
|

replied September 25th, 2010
but idk how i could really get an infection? i havent had sex in sooo long
|

replied September 25th, 2010
Experienced User
Well all infections aren't sexually transmitted. Still it may NOT be an infection, still something isn't right. If you have a smell that you know isn't normal and a discharge, it's a sign that something isn't right. It could be serious, it usually isn't, but you should see your doctor.
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2013
Where can you go to get checked or ask questions without having to pay a 25 no insurance fee?
|
Quick Reply