Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

Why do I feel so sick after eating meat?

Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....
Hi,
For the past 2 and a half years, I have felt unbelievably sick after eating a meal that contains any sort of meat (From chicken to cooked fish, to pork, even if it's got no spices or flavouring to it). It happens usually at night (Around 11pm). I start feeling very cold, my stomach hurts, and I feel like I'm about to throw up (But never am actually sick), I begin shivering uncontrollably, and it's often joined my a migrane. It feels a lot like food poisoning ( I've had it 4 times, so I know! Razz).

I have seen several doctors, and all they can say is that it is acid reflux, and tell me to go buy some form of over-the-counter antacid which only makes me feel worse because they taste so awful! But even my latest doctor thought it was odd that it's only brought on by meat, but could still suggest nothing more than a bizarre case of acid reflux!

I have been on Ranitidine for about three months, and it kind of works (Stops the stomach ache and the nausea, but not the other symptoms).

I just want to know if there is someone else who has or has had symptoms like this?

(I am a 21 y/o female)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper quepster
|

replied February 20th, 2012
I dont know what to say to help, but I'm almost the same way. Every time I eat meat I get nauseous and end up throwing up. It started when I was pregnant and is continuing 1yr post partum. I also get sick if I have too many raw vegetables... I can take either on modest quantities paired with a decent portion of carbs.

Hope it helps to know you aren't alone.

28/f
|

replied March 12th, 2012
Everytime I eat meat I throw up
So I've been having the same problem, only different. Everytime I eat only meat, including fish, chicken (or other meat flavored) stuffing or ramen noodles. I get THE WORST STOMACHE ACHE OF MY LIFE. I feel like there are rail road spikes being stabbed into me. Then, I throw up. Until its all gone. I can't eat for at least 4 hours, or the process starts all over again. So, I went to the doctors, they told me it was my gull bladder. I did both tests, my gull bladder was fine. Then I lost my insurance. So I have been a vegetarian for almost a year. It's not easy. I LOVE steak.. It's my favorite food. But it's not worth the stomache ache. I can't help you in what it might be (except your gull bladder) but you're not alone.
21/female
|

replied March 26th, 2012
nausea after eating meat
Hi, I get viciously nauseated (never throw up though) after eating anything with any meat or meat alone. Not sure if it's related but I also sweat A LOT! It's so embarrassing Sad My upper body inc my face and head sweats so bad. I've had my sugar checked and it's ok. I'm beginning to think that it's MY gallbladder but I'm in the same boat as the above, no insurance until April. I'll ck back and post what they find if anything when I do get to the dr. I also have a stabbing pain in my mid right side (had appendix removed 30 years ago so it's not that)

I just ate a lean turkey sandwich and am nauseated Sad

I hope you all feel better and can totally relate.

God bless,
mother of 4 kids (and a 42 year old)
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied May 29th, 2012
I've had the same thing for as long as I can remember. I love meat but find it increasingly difficult for myself to even want to eat. It happens no matter what type of meat. Whether cold cut or cooked. I spend an increased time in the bathroom just trying to make myself feel better. My symptoms include, nausea, stomach pain, feeling cold to the point of goose bumps, sweating, shaking, slight headache, and feeling slightly lightheaded. They don't always occur together but they have all occurred at one time when I ate meat. The other night I ate baked beans that were only cooked with beef sauce and it set me off instantly. I'm only looking for answers, I hate feeling this way.

18/f
|

replied June 27th, 2012
Meat issue
I understand the meat issue as well, about a year ago I started having sharp pain in my right side, mostly after eating anything with meat. I was also getting bad migraines, and a nasty rash on my chest and back. Once I decided to go vegetarian the pain has gone away for the most part, and the rash on my chest disappeared with in a few weeks. I hope you figure out what is causing your issue. My doctor told me that I had a high IgE level, so you might want to get that checked as a starting point..
|

replied September 14th, 2012
nauseous
I've been feeling nauseous after I eat meat as well. This has been going on for a month now. I'm not sure why but I love meat and wouldn't enjoy being a vegetarian but I would consider it to better my health.
|

replied November 22nd, 2012
As a child i was a vegetarian till the age of 12, there i noticed that everytime i ate meat i got sick, i was puking.. I thought i was alone in this because my friends used to say i was lying that i am just bulimic but i'm not.. I like meat a lot.. I thought i was alone in this till i met a friend who told me her sister was the same way. She said it was like an allergy. So now like 9 years dealing with this i plan on making a doctor visit AGAIN so they can check it all over again.

I am a 20 year old female by the way.
|

replied January 8th, 2013
I have been having the same symptoms for 2 weeks now. I have never had issues with meat before. I have had a bad diet for a few months now and meat or fatty/oily things are the only things to make me feel horrible. I eat small portions and try to be healthy.

After reading everyone else's comments, it is possible that our bodies are having issues absorbing what the food contains, like iron or cholesterol. I have had iron deficiency in the past and that was probably due to poor absorption caused by lack of leafy/green vegetable in my diet.

If your body can not break down and absorb a vitamin, protein or starch and so forth it will reject it as quick as possible. Much similar to alcohol. Does this make sense to anyone else?? So perhaps have a check up to make sure you are absorbing nutrients properly, and if then are still having issues it could be a new allergy. 21y Female. Jan 2013.

Hope everyone can figure this out!
|

replied April 22nd, 2013
hey not sure if this is still active but i felt i had to share what iv been thru in the past 2years....first off i loved meat and dairy an couldnt see past it then i went to a nandos restaurant over here in the uk, i got ECOLI which was awful but from that day on i had a terrible fear of chicken so i didnt touch it again then when i ate any kind of meat id be sick i would have stomach cramps, vomiting, hot and cold flashes, sweating, diarrhea and even loss of blood and mucus in stools (tmi but it has to be said) so i was always at the doctor and having them make house calls thinking it was the ecoli still in my system so they gave me heaps of meds (didnt work) and i was doped up on tramadol (very very strong pain killer) so wasnt having any real quality of life....so one day i got bloods done which said i was fighing an allergy or intolerance and to do a food diary of what i ate an what happnd so we figured out it was anything meat or meat stock or gelatin so i cut that out all together and very militant about it and im off all the medication and live a very normal life....i swear to god that quitting eating animal flesh was the best desision of my whole entire life its made such a difference and i would NEVER decide that my greed and fancy for eating something would come in over my over all health.....i cut out dairy too cos it has always made my stomach bloat to nearly triple the size it starts at and now i look and feel great and my haor is thicker my skin is glowing and i never need to take painkillers unless im contaminated which happns if people dont care.....no meat comes in my house im glad to say im very careful Smile i know what it does to me and theres no way ill suffer just because i want to eat a burger.,...i just grab a veggie burger or make a bean burger there super nice plus i wont have high blood pressure or high cholesterol hahaha x
|

replied May 15th, 2013
the reason you feel sick after eating meat is because it's not even meant to go into your system in the first place, your body is telling you something so be wise and listen to it. it's basic common sense that if you feel sick after putting something in your body then it's not meant to be in there. just like cigarettes and alcohol, you always cough after the first few puffs, same with thing with alcohol many times my friends tell me that it makes them feel sick. because it's not meant to be in your body, it's a toxin. but due to social and cultural retardation the general idea is that you're supposed to do these things, smoke, drink alcohol and eat dead animals. so called high class living. my point i'm trying to get across is that you're body is telling you something legit, listen to your body and not what society has deemed to be normal.
|