Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

why cant the goverment help this

User Profile
hi
why cant the goverment step in and control the way these health insurance plans cost?there are so many people who need this but cant afford it..one operation
and their bankrupt..

coonsanders
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
I think a lot of people don't realize how much health care costs, period. Health care costs are increasing at twice the rate of normal inflation. Everyone blames the insurance companies, as though they are supposed to pay for everything, while still keeping insurance premiums down.

Even the insurance companies that are non-profit, such as Blue Cross/Blue Shield have to take in enough in premiums to cover what they pay out in benefits, plus their over-head costs, such as what they pay their employees, office costs, etc.

"Obama Care" will control somewhat what insurance companies can charge. For example, they will no longer be able to charge some people more for having pre-exisiting conditions. All this will mean is that those costs will have to be passed on to everyone else. That money has to come from somewhere. If the government subsidizes health care, then the money comes from taxpayers. It has to come from somewhere. It just changes who pays and how much each person's share is. To some people that's fair, to others, it isn't.

In my opinion, the greater problem is for people without insurance who need an operation or some other kind of serious treatment. They not only have to pay the full cost of all the medical bills, but they also don't have the benefit of having their insurance's allowable rate, which can sometimes be less than half. And then it makes it very difficult for them to get insurance in the future with the pre-existing condition.
|

User Profile
o ok thanks for clearing it up..its still kind of a mess
but thanks for trying anyway..

coonsanders
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I'd like to know this too, thanks MyrahU and coonsanders! It's a mess. I was in the hospital for dehydration (bad reaction from a med) they wouldn't let me leave the hospital without some tests that I knew would be expensive. It took forever to pay that bill so I can't go back to school for a while. Insurance actually denied me three times. I'm not sure why.
|

User Profile
i have no idea...do you in scotland they pay for health insurance though their taxes..i asked a lady frined who lives there and thats what she said...lets all move to
scotland...lol

coonsanders
|

replied October 31st, 2011
because we all are poor
|
Quick Reply