Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Why am I so Ugly? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Im going into a depression or proably already in one, cause I dont socialize with nobody in my school cause of the fact that I dont want people to look at my ugly face. I felt like this ever since I was 12 years old and im 16 now. People would say im slow because of how my eyes always look droopy, ugly, and say I will never get a girlfriend in life. Im not feeling good right now and have thoughts in my head. I read many stories about uglyness and people comments on them but they seem not to help me. Sometimes I would go in front of my mirror and just know that Im ugly.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper leppy
|

replied February 11th, 2010
if you believe that then you are trying to fit into a norm of what people look like now.. everyone is beautiful in their own way. Just believe that and it helps
|

replied July 13th, 2011
B.S
oh stfu. dont give him that "your beautiful on the inside" stuff, im sure thats not the kind of fake crap he needs to hear. in all reality, it DOES matter what you look like and life IS easier with a pretty face. People go around telling others that it doesnt matter how you look on the outside or your beautiful th way you are...its easier to say such lies when you dont have to live with the face of that other person-its easier to go around lieing to them when you can be sure youll get married,have kids,make friends, and secure a job-yes a job. when was the last time you saw an ugly person working a successful job? life definitly is about the way you look and saying that it isnt just shows the world what a fantasy your in..this is the real world, dont beat around the bush. kid, if your serious about being ugly definitly consider surgery, thats the only thing i can recommend for you. i know its tough liviing life as it is now but just dont do anything stupid like commit suicide.no one likes an attention seeking person especially an ugly one.
|

replied July 27th, 2011
i know right ! probably the BEST post i've seen!
|

replied February 27th, 2012
No no nononono no, leppy u are so wrong to tell someone that. Its true life seems to be easier with a pretty face an skinny body right? WRONG!!!! Im someone who is considered naturally beautiful,but it isnt easy being that cuz people who see that u are prettier than them see you as a threat,and begin to make you feel like crap about yourself. I learned this much,if someone cslls u ugly or fat that means they feel that way about themselves. I suggest that every morning u get up look in the mirrir,ur blessed. Some people dont have legs or arms,some peole are blind and deaf. Im half deaf,legally blind,i cant smell,and I have asthma. No one is perfect. Not even the people who appear perfect. Dont go get surgery!!!! Thats insane!!!! Look at yourself and say "i Am beautiful because god made me" I no it sounds dumb but it really helps,cuz you begin to see that ur flaws are unique. The reason u think ur ugly is cuz you look at urself all ur life and you eventually notice flaws that other people dont,even though u think they do. To me u sound like a LOVELY person inside and out Smile
|
Users who thank Sorazgirl5 for this post: marlynbeetle 

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.

replied August 7th, 2013
There's a truth in your word, yet a troubling one. I for one like to live in fantasy. There's no point in live anyways, not a goal either. All is just logic coincidence, as is our very existance. So why not set your own goals, make your own beauty, forget society, or even no goal and no beauty at all. It doesn't matter.
|

replied October 30th, 2013
I disagree wholeheartedly with you Leppy. The truth is that its all about confidence. People pick up more on body language than you can ever imagine. I used to think I was a loser and ugly because I'm short and I wear glasses, but then I realised the power of body language and confidence. If you believe that you are good looking, then you are good looking.

How good looking you are is dependant on how people perceive you. How people perceive you is dependant on the way you present yourself. If you sit confidently straight up instead of coiling up in a ball while fidgeting with your hands, if you walk with good strides instead of tiptoeing while moving, if you speak up in a group of people, make a joke here and there, Show that you have value by being interesting, that you have charm, instead of withdrawing yourself quietly will work volumes in your favour. People will levitate towards you and you will be liked. Attractiveness is not only about your genes, I swear on this with every fibre in my being - attractiveness is not only about your genes.
|

replied April 29th, 2010
This is going to sound stupid and wrong but I hope you believe it. Maybe other will disagree but I hope you can find truth in this. Do you believe you are ugly (physically, not what is in your heart)? Ask yourself, what is so wrong about being just as you are? I don''t believe "ugly" is always a bad word, people just make it that way. Just as no one decides to be beautiful, no one decides to be ugly either. It is simply who we are. I refuse to believe that being ugly is a completely bad thing. You will be sad for a long time if you''re waiting for someone to say they were wrong, and you''re extremely attractive. Or if you think one day you will wake up and look differently. Please don''t wait for that because that is not all that you have to offer.

But there will be days when you think you look nice. You want to know why? Because beauty is not off limits to you, just as ugliness is not off limits to people who are born beautiful. We can slip in and out of these roles. Ugliness can be so powerful. What makes you think it isn''t? Our society doesn''t help you to believe this I know but please believe it. If you are worried about finding love I hope you know that someone will love you for who you are. They may find you sensitive and smart and funny - they may find you beautiful. But the people who bring you down aren''t worth a damn. They don''t know the power you have. They don''t know that if one day, you want to be invisible, you can, and if one day you want to walk with your head held high you can do that as well. You are a shapeshifter. You are both beautiful and ugly and I love that you have so many dimensions. Your life will be so much richer in texture, you will be forced to grow in ways outside of your face. Smile about this.

*I read the book Look At My Ugly Face by Sara Halprin and it changed my life. I should confess that I haven''t had to struggle with being ugly as much as I have with being okay with being beautiful and learning that I am also ugly. I hope this doesn''t discredit everything I said as I want to be honest. I''d be interested to know how this book could help someone else.
|

replied April 29th, 2010
You know what helped me?
|

replied July 27th, 2010
Is it hard being ugly? I think its tough being beautiful. nobody actually likes beautiful people they just want to be beautiful themselves. nobody consoles an unhappy beautiful person. Cliches are cliches because they are true. Who wants to live with a crabby beautiful person. (nobody duh) If a person is loving happy and carefree he makes others feel good. and others want to be around him who cares what he looks like? Stop making yourself internally ugly by believing the thought that you are imperfect. It all depends on your point of view you might as well foster one that makes you happy.
|

replied August 4th, 2010
two words
steve buscemi( "eyes always look droopy, ugly, and say I will never get a girlfriend in life").

steve buscemi is like what you said, and is the best actor

bye carl
|

replied September 10th, 2010
What is wrong with you being ugly? You're seeing this the wrong way, there's nothing wrong with you being ugly, only if you think there is does it matter.

Also remember that most often you become what other expect them to be: since ugly people (your experience are probably this?) are poorly treated by society and are often mocked they become ugly. They become ugly inside in other words they have become how others view them.

So go out there and be the best ugly person you can be. Just as you did not decide to be ugly I did not decide to be physically attractive (no merit really it's just good genes) so don't feel guilty because you have nothing to be ashamed of it is what you are, both outside and inside. Always remember that forever.

Julie.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied May 12th, 2011
U r not ugly. U r beautiful. U will find some1 special in ur life soon. Dont worry.Smile!
|

replied July 13th, 2011
oh stfu. dont give him that "your beautiful on the inside" sh*t, im sure thats not the kind of fake crap he needs to hear. in all reality, it DOES matter what you look like and life IS easier with a pretty face. People go around telling others that it doesnt matter how you look on the outside or your beautiful th way you are...its easier to say such lies when you dont have to live with the face of that other person-its easier to go around lieing to them when you can be sure youll get married,have kids,make friends, and secure a job-yes a job. when was the last time you saw an ugly person working a successful job? life definitly is about the way you look and saying that it isnt just shows the world what a sh!tty f'ed up fantasy your in..this is the real world, dont beat around the bush. kid, if your serious about being ugly definitly consider surgery, thats the only thing i can recommend for you. i know its tough liviing life as it is now but just dont do anything stupid like commit suicide.no one likes an attention seeking wh**e especially an ugly one.
|

replied July 18th, 2011
If you believe you are ugly, then that is what everyone around you will believe. If decide that you are beautiful and confident then they will believe that. If they don't believe it then why should you care? They are clearly shallow jerks who have nothing better to do than put others down. Be glad that you might have a future filled with love and friendship. People in your school might actually really want to talk to you and get to know you but you aren't giving them the chance. As for what you said about your eyes making you seem "slow," Hugh Grant has those so called "droopy eyes" and he is a good looking guy! Just try giving people a chance and you might be surprised. Trust me, high school sucks. I've been there and its awful for everyone, even if it seems like everything works out for them. It is because everyone is trying to fit in and be liked but that is impossible! Just make it your duty to get through high school and then I promise things will get better if you let them.

Good luck!
|

replied July 18th, 2011
theboldenator wrote:
If you believe you are ugly, then that is what everyone around you will believe. If decide that you are beautiful and confident then they will believe that. If they don't believe it then why should you care? They are clearly shallow jerks who have nothing better to do than put others down. Be glad that you might have a future filled with love and friendship. People in your school might actually really want to talk to you and get to know you but you aren't giving them the chance. As for what you said about your eyes making you seem "slow," Hugh Grant has those so called "droopy eyes" and he is a good looking guy! Just try giving people a chance and you might be surprised. Trust me, high school sucks. I've been there and its awful for everyone, even if it seems like everything works out for them. It is because everyone is trying to fit in and be liked but that is impossible! Just make it your duty to get through high school and then I promise things will get better if you let them.

Good luck!

Easier said then done, I know! Just give it a try please.
|

replied October 17th, 2011
I agree w/ most of the pple here, there is really no definiton of beauty, here ppl get tans and spary tans because according to who knows what person its sexy while ppl towards eastern asia desire to be lighter because the darker you are the lower in society you are because u prob have to work in the sun all day. I really know how it feels i have a big nose, acne, i began losing hair at 16, but you get over it because your not the only one in the world and not everyone judges you by how you look. oh and for leppy most of the presidents of the U.S were butt ugly and Jay-Z is horrific yet him and his wife are one of the most succesful couples in the world, so there Razz leppy
|

replied November 10th, 2011
I, kinda feel the same. In school and stuff, I always try to cover my face so people can't look at me. Because I know i'm ugly.

Also, i'm sure you aren't that ugly.
|

replied November 10th, 2011
I, kinda feel the same. In school and stuff, I always try to cover my face so people can't look at me. Because I know i'm ugly.

Also, i'm sure you aren't that ugly.
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2012
don't believe any one above my post
1 Samuel 16:7…

Don’t judge by a man’s face or height… I don’t make decisions the way you do! Men judge by outward appearance but I look at a man’s thoughts and intentions
|

replied January 31st, 2012
Well, at least you are a guy. A physically unattractive guy can be romantically successful if he is confident in other areas. Financial success also helps. The world is much tougher for ugly women. Trust me, I know it well, because I live it.

What seems to help me is to remember that aging is an equalizing factor. Most beautiful people eventually become physically less attractive over time. Beauty does not give happiness forever to most people (if any at all). Look at what's happening to Demi Moore and Heather Locklear! They certainly were once considered really beautiful but they seem to be having helluva tough time now.

The takeaway is: life can be, and often is, tough for most of us, including less ugly people. Ugly people like us still have to go on, and the worst thing we can do to ourselves is to focus on our ugliness. It's hard not to, but we might as well focus on other things because focusing on it will not make us any more attractive!
|

replied July 31st, 2013
In a sense you are correct, but what about ugly guys who are broke? One thing I've seen in life is that its ALWAYS easier for an ugly chic to get laid. Men dont care how much money you have, theyre horny. But even better than that men dont care if your really confident. While women act like an insecure guy is worse than gangreen. (seriously women how do you expect an ugly dude to be "confident"? and lie to himself that hes a stud, when he has a mirror and can see the way hes discriminated against and treated differently) Even the ugliest of the ugly women all still manage to always have a baby or two, fact. Most guys dont really care about looks they jus want some. Women have it much easier there like most things in life
|

replied February 26th, 2012
Ugly? ... you probably don't know yourself, yet.
Attractive people do get too many breaks, but why? Because WE give them the breaks. We idolize. Look at sports heroes and movie stars. They're already rich up the ying-yang, but we buy all the stuff they sell and they get richer. Think of that next time you buy a product. Are you buying it because it does what you want, or did some genetically lucky person (in looks or aptitude) convince you to buy it? The average-looking to below-average looking person can compensate in a couple of ways: get rich by using good-looking people to sell your product.Smile Or, find what you like in life and pursue that. Get your basis for happiness in the things you love to do. Use your other senses, not just your eyes.

Your teens to twenties are weighted WAY too heavily on personal relationships. Blow that all off! Now is the time to find out who you are, what you like, what you love. The only way to do that is to try stuff... you won't find out what you like or dislike if you don't try new things. This is the age where you learn/remember the most -- prime time for your brain and body development. When you find things you like/love -- keep doing them. Along the way you will make friends doing the things you love with those who share that love. Those will be your best times.

I am probably much older than many of you posting here. I just turned 54. I went through a roller-coaster image perception of myself my whole life. The roller coaster has gotten much flatter as I have aged (the dips are pretty shallow), while the overall height of the roller-coaster has risen (I can see much farther now). I look back at my youth and think of the time and emotional energy I wasted trying to be 'cool', trying to look like, trying to be like someone I wasn't.

As I aged, my looks improved (many less attractive teen/young-adults do) --by luck, and my talents soared -- by effort, and so my love of life improved. I would say I am only average looking now. In the past, I would say there were stretches I was ugly and stretches (although much shorter) where I was attractive. I have dated women who I first perceived as beautiful, average, AND ugly. Those were only initial impressions though -- you will see that as you get to know someone, because they appeal to you through shared interests, that you will perceive their physical looks more favorably, and the most beautiful person can be ugly if your lives/loves are in conflict.

Don't waste time and emotional turmoil on things you cannot control. Find what makes you happy -- do that. You'll meet others that share happiness in that way.
|

replied March 27th, 2012
I've been called ugly for so long, I know what it feels like... I was treated like crap in my school because of how I looked; even by my family members because my skin is much darker than my parents: they considered it as 'light hearted jokes' but it was pathetic how racist they were/ are.
I used to depress myself over it; and I get really weird even if people compliment me now, I can never make out if they're just being nice or they actually mean it.
But trust me there's nothing you can about it. Just accept yourself for who you are.
I've been so lucky to find this awesome guy, people still ask him why he didn't bother to find someone better. But we love each other for who we are.
And that's what matters; don't get into a relationship for the sake of it. Just be true to yourself and I'm sure you'll find someone wonderful!! =)
|

replied April 20th, 2012
the truth is, life is what you make it. I used to feel ugly and unattractive in my teenage years. I would cry n be depressed for hours. One day, i read a book by Joel Osteen and it changed my life.
What you think about yourself is what people will think about you. If you learn to love yourself and see your self as attractive, people will do thesame.
You have to make a concious effort to love yourself. Then and only then will you be happy.
|
Quick Reply