Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

white tissue in menstrual flow (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I'm 33 years old, never been pregnant, and recently resumed sexual activity after a long dry spell (2yrs). I started on Nuva Ring 2 months ago for birth control. The first month we used condoms for the entire month just to be safe and until my BF got tested for STD's (even though my nurse practitioner said I was OK after 7 days since I started to ring on the first day of my cycle). I barely got a period after the first month (2 days of light spotting - didn't even need a pad). I took a pregnancy test twice during the next month - both negative. This month, I started spotting the day I was supposed to take the ring out (before I even took it out). I took out the ring and did another pregnancy test (negative). I had BAD PMS symptoms for 2 days (very moody, headache, giant painful breasts, bloating) starting the day before I took out the ring. The next day, I started a normal period flow. Yesterday, my flow was heavier than usual with cramping and I passed 2 weird clumps of tissue - the largest about 4cm long, white, tough, only a few mm thick, but definitely tissue and not a clot or mucous. What is this and is it normal?!?!
I had multiple negative pregnancy tests (including one in the clinic when I didn't get a "real" period after the first month of the ring), so it wasn't a miscarriage. My partner and I both tested negative for STD's before we stopped using condoms. My cramping this month is a little different - not as deep and throbby, but a sharper more superficial pain. I'm kind of freaked out by this as I've had heavy periods and even little clots before, but never weird stringy white tissue like this.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper HaveTowel42
|

replied March 12th, 2009
white tissue
I started the Nuvaring last month. I am on my period now; and when I took out my tampon, white tissue came out too. It's was the size of my palm, and about as thick as chicken skin. I don't what this is or why this happened. Today, at work, I experienced severe menstrual cramps w/ diarrhea. Pain radiated down my legs and my back. I was very nauseous. I can't find any answers online, so I'll be calling a gyno tomorrow. I'm pretty freaked out. Does anyone know what this is?
|

replied September 7th, 2011
Yea. I have this every time i get my period. I brought that piece of "chicken skin" to the doctor in a ziplock bag of ice. She told me that it's your WHOLE uterine lining shredding itself at once. That's why you have really painful cramps, because the whole uterine wall is ripping itself out at once.
|

replied January 8th, 2012
white tissue
this has happened to me twice now once last year and then again yesterday. I am on the Nuva ring as well. I think that is the common denominator here. Everyone having this white tissue come out is on the ring. My partner and I have decided that I am no longer going to be using that method of bc.
|

replied January 12th, 2012
Hi ladies & thx for sharing! This just happened to me this morning. I was cramping like crazy last night & when i changed my tampon this morning i saw the same white string substance. Unlike most of you I am currently taking Tri-Sprintec which is the generic form of Ortho Tri Cyclen. This is my first time taking this brand of birth control and I have 3 pills remaining. I just started back taking birth control and typically do not cramp like this. This first pack will probably be my last pack.
|

replied May 18th, 2012
Hello, glad to see your post. I am also on Tri-Sprintec, and this just happened to me for the first time in my life. (I'm 23) I also am on my first pack and have 3 pills remaining. What a relief to see that other people are experiencing this as well.
|

replied June 30th, 2009
I am so relieved to find other women having this issue. I just finished my first month of Nuvaring and also had early spotting before I had taken it out. I'm on the third day of my period now, and just notice a piece of white tissue the size of a large grape on my tampon. This has never happened before and it totally freaked me out. I had been on Nuvaring in the past (about 4 or 5 years ago) and never had any problems with it then. Having a hard time finding information online, as well....
|

replied September 16th, 2011
This is my first month on nuvaring and the same thing happened to me 2 nights ago. I see that this is a post from 2 yrs ago and would like to know if you've had any complications with nuvaring since this incident?
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
Thick white odorless discharge during period
I also was on nuvaring and missed it for a month. Since then I've gone back on it and this month (the month after using the nuvaring) I started getting my period while the ring was still in. I left the ring in for the first five days so I could start the new ring on the first of the month. I inserted the new ring today and two hours later I had the same white, thick, odorless tissue that is really stretchy. If anyone does find any information on this please reply otherwise I will be making a trip to my gyno very soon.
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
Has anyone heard any information from their gyno on this issue? Please reply.
|

replied July 26th, 2009
Menstrual tissue related to birth control use
I'm 19 years old. I just started taking birth control for the first time (pills). I had unprotected sex on my sixth day of birth control, but my partner did not ejaculate inside of me. It's been two and half weeks since and I've had these painful menstruation symptoms (cramping, bleedng, pain in my lower back and legs) and a 'clump' of tissue appeared, about an inch long, dark, bloody red at one end, and pinkish white at the other, tough and fiberous (like uncooked chicken). My question: Uterine lining or fetal tissue? I'd prefer the former.
|
Users who thank HaveTowel42 for this post: tony541 

replied August 31st, 2013
Exactly the same thing is happened to me, I had two bits of the chicken lookalike and was it uterine lining or were you pregnant?
|

replied August 17th, 2009
It just happened to me as well, very well descibed above, like a tough piece of chicken skin. It came after bad aches and was very nouseous afterwards. Have been on nuvaring for 4 years this never happened before.
|

replied August 21st, 2009
not miscarriage
no...this is all apparently uterus lining. the common thread here is the pill. something about progester-something that causes uterus lining chunks. sorry I'm not very technical but bottom line...not a miscarriage. I too have just started the pill for the first time after having my period for 10 years, have been sexually active only 5 days before getting my full period flow with white membrane. some spotting occured for 3 days before getting my full period. I think the doctors failed to mention that one when we signed up for the pill! freaked me out too...
|

replied September 1st, 2009
I experienced this same thing last night and I too just started using Nuvaring. Has anyone heard from their doc on this? I definitely think the common bond here is Nuvaring. I've had some clotting in the past but nothing like this white thing.
|

replied October 18th, 2009
I was on Nuvaring for 6 months and hated it because I had goo-y discharge mostly during and after sex that was sometimes clear but other times like a whitish paste but odorless. I was also depressed on it although I'm a very happy and positive person (big side effect that's not often mentioned). I just stated Yas after a year off all kinds of birth control and I'm on my first period. I had sharp pain like I was passing a big clot and then felt light headed. I can tell when I have clots because I'll feel that way. It was a clot, a little bigger than a quarter but not circular, more like a rectangle with bloody red at one end and whitish-pink tissue in the other. Same as HaveTowel 42. Everything I've read online says that after you get back on BC you get lining during the period that looks like tissuey clots. I guess your body figures you wont be needing it anymore and gets rid of it. Just in case, I'm seeing my gyno this coming week and I'll repost what I'm told.
|

replied October 25th, 2009
white tissue worried me too
This was very comforting to read as I just experienced the 'white tissue' for the first time. It was a shock, and I was worried about miscarrage (although I am on the pill; Marvelon, and taking it correctly). Thank goodness for the Internet!

Thanks ladies.
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
I just came out of my bathroom to change a tampon and I had the same membrane tissue that came out with my tampon. It was white at one end and dark maroon at the other end. While there was blood on it, it wiped off easily. I've been Google-ing like a madwoman and from what I've read its completely normal. I'm 18 years old and have been on the pil for the last year. I freaked and thought I'd had a miscarriage as I have had unprotected sex with my boyfriend (albeit on the Pill and he never finishes inside of me) but we've all heard horror stories before of women taking precautions and getting pregnant anyway.

So anyway, bottom line is don't freak out - its totally normal.
|

replied December 8th, 2009
Same thig happened to me!
Wow!!!
This happened to me today. I had severe pain, the really heavy bleeding I soaked through 3 regular tampons in as many hours, and I mean through, I had to change pants. Then I had the same white tissue about the size of my palm. This is after bleeding with o cramps for 4 days already. If anyone has spoken to a GYNO please share. I will do the same.
|

replied February 17th, 2010
So relieved to have found these responses. I had the same awful lump of tissue come out of me last night and freaked out. I started taking Yasmin on the first day of my last period as directed, but I bleed everyday for the 3 weeks that I took it with cramps most days. On my week off the pill I had the clump of bloody tissue come out on the end of a tampon. I just went to the doctors who had nothing to say about it really, no reassurance whatsoever, just that if I was bleeding everyday then I wasn't protected from getting pregnant. I had been having sex with my partner so after I had spoken to my doctor I thought Id had a miscarriage, until I saw your responses. I think it was probably the uterus lining now. Anyway I wont be taking Yasmin any more thats for sure....and wont be trying Nuvaring either!!
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
hi ive had the same thing today i had a baby 15 weeks ago and had the depo injection about 3 weeks ago and got my 1st period after that yesterday, and passed this white thing today, with lower bk and belly aches, i was really worried is this normal to pass this weird like thing
|

replied March 18th, 2010
piece of skin
the same thing has happened to me today, but i have jush had a miscarrige, the doctors did not find anything on the scan and i have not passed the baby yet but i know it can come away bit by bit thats why i looked on here to see if this was part of the fetus, just need to know :'(
|

replied March 27th, 2010
i just had this happen today!! i freaked! i had a baby 2 mos ago and got the mirena IUD put in about 5weeks ago, it was exactly like this, white fleshy and tore apart like chicken skin, i was not bleeding but there was mucus and old blood look to it, also a small clot like thing with what looked like old specked of blood. i also had a colposcopy done the other day which is a biopsy of your cervix and all cuz i had an abnormal pap at my post pardum appt. sounds like it has to do with the birth control but i never had this happen when i was on the pill or depo shot in the past. this cant be a miscarriage because i havent had sex since my son was born.
|

replied April 6th, 2010
I have the same problem as everyone on this thread. My gyno told me that it has to do with the pill (I am taking Necon). She also did another test to make sure there was no strain of the embryo inside (had a surgical termination due to complications). I started the Necon again three weeks after my surgery and have been having this white tissue-like discharge since then. I have my period right now (third cycle since surgery) and am still passing tissue. Guess you have to give it some time.
Seems like you will see this happen if you just started a new round of birth control, or if you have had a miscarriage possibly even after childbirth
|

replied April 21st, 2010
i also experience just the same sypmtoms...white clot..never happened before n iwas freaked out. So i have visited my gyno and he said not to worry about it. It is what they call endometrial hyperplasia, and it''s benign n you still get chances to get pregnant. It''s due to hormonal imbalance (stress) in my case. My gyno did USG and found nothing abnormal inside my womb. So don''t worry! but I still suggest to visit your gyno
|

replied April 21st, 2010
i also experience just the same sypmtoms...white clot..never happened before n iwas freaked out. So i have visited my gyno and he said not to worry about it. It is what they call endometrial hyperplasia, and it''s benign n you still get chances to get pregnant. It''s due to hormonal imbalance (stress) in my case. My gyno did USG and found nothing abnormal inside my womb. So don''t worry! but I still suggest to visit your gyno
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
Endometrial hyperplasia is cancerous in 30% of cases "not2worry".
|

replied May 25th, 2011
Wrong.
no it's not. Endometrial hyperplasia is a precursor to cancer. It can easily be taken care of with medication such as progesterone which will help to decrease the size of the endometrial lining. (hyperplasia just means overabundance of cells). There are 4 types of endometrial hyperplasia. Simple, Complex, Simple w/ atypia and complex w/ atypia. The most common form, which is simple, has only a 1% chance of progressing to cancer while the complex w/ atypia has a 28% chance.

perhaps your doctor meant to say that you just had proliferative endometrium which is normal during the menstrual cycle. Even if it is hyperplasia, all four types can be treated with progresterone and I find it hard to believe that a doctor would not offer that to the patient if it was found.

(I'm a 3rd year medical student)
|

replied September 8th, 2011
This has happened to me! I wasn't on Nuvaring though, just Transexamic acid. I was having really bad cramps for the whole day and when I was lying in bed, I felt something almost 'pop' out of me. I ran to the bathroom and when I checked, there was an alien-looking lump in my knickers. It was the size of two 50p coins and was dark red with white/yellow tissue and looked almost as though it had blood vessels or veins in it. I took it to my doctor and he thought it was placental tissue and that I'd miscarried and so sent it off for tests. When the results came back, it turned out that it too was the whole lining of my uterus shedding at once. I thought it had something to do with my Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome but now I'm feeling better reading these posts and seeing it happens to other girls. I'm really dreading it happening again!
|