Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

White stuff in hole of wisdom tooth extraction

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I just got my wisdom teeth removed Monday, 3 days ago, and now that I can open my mouth enough to see the holes, I can see that there is white stuff in the holes. I can't tell if it is soft or hard or what, but it looks disgusting and makes me want to throw up when I think of it. I don't have a fever or even very much pain anymore, so I don't think its infected.... Could it be food? I've been using salt water to rinse my mouth like I'm supposed to, but nothing comes out when I do that. My oral surgeon didn't give me one of the syringe things, so I can't flush it out. Should I try to find one of them at like Walmart or something? Help!! If it is food, I want to get it out as soon as possible so it doesn't get infected!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper brittni629
|

replied April 30th, 2010
Hi brittni629,

I had 2 of my wisdom teeth removed 3 days ago, and today, there is whitish stuff in the extraction sites. I too thought it was food so I rinse and swish salt water in my mouth but that didn''t help. I called the oral surgeon office today and the receptionist said that it could be part of the healing process. She said that if my pain worsens to come in right away. So far, I am experiencing very little pain just some achiness. It sounds like I am experiencing something similar to you. I hope that the white stuff is a sign of normal healing. Should I be alarmed? How did everything turn out for you?
|

replied April 30th, 2010
jujubee, I HOPE you don''t have the same thing I did... because I''m almost 100 percent sure I had dry socket, and it was literally the worst pain I have ever felt. I had an ache from the middle of my jaw up to my ear and up to my forehead!! This lasted for like 3 days. I even had to go to the emergency room in the middle of the night the 2nd night to get a shot of morphine to help the pain! BUT if this does happen to you, the surgeon will probably pack it with this stuff that takes the pain away. My surgeon was over an hour away, so he wasn''t really an option at the time. I got my teeth out on Monday, and this pain started on like Thursday, so about 3 days later.

The white stuff I''m pretty sure was food... but I could never tell.

If this happens to you, and you can''t get to the surgeon right away, go to Walgreens in the dental section, and there''s a little tooth ache kit that comes with a bottle of Eugenol, and little cotton puffs and a little pair of tweezers. Follow the directions on the back. This is literally the only thing that took the pain away for me, but it only lasts for a couple hours and then you have to do it again.

Also from Walgreens, I got one of those little kid medicine squeezer things and used that and warm salt water to get all the food and stuff out of my holes. It works just as good as the dental syringe thingy, but they gave it to me for free Smile

Hope this helps, but I REALLY hope you don''t need to use any of this!!
|

replied February 22nd, 2011
for anyone that has a tooth extracted with the above symptoms,
the white stuff you see could be a scab! in your wet mouth scabs dont get dark and crusty. be careful rinsing out the "hole". if you wash away this scab ( a protective coating ) you will get a dry socket. i know i did it and it hurts. if its food it should rinse out easily so dont get too rough. if you start getting pain call the dentist. the pellets work good but the dentist has some high power pellets he uses and they take care of a dry socket for good. take my advice with a grain of salt. im not a doctor just had a bunch of teeth pulled.
|

replied February 7th, 2012
it is very normal, it's just the tooths healing process. If dry socket was an indication, there would be no white, just a hole allowing air and debris to get into cause SEVERE pain. The white 'stuff' is just a healing barrier.
|
Users who thank krate for this post: CollSen 

replied March 18th, 2012
Thank you for this comment. I feel completely relieved since there is a white coating over my 1st molar, and I know it has nothing to do with dry socket.
|

replied December 18th, 2012
How do you know when it's not part of the tooth that was left in. My tooth broke into 3 pieces coming out and I asked to see it and they said they threw it out.
|

replied June 18th, 2012
ok, so I cleaned mine out with the syringe on the fifth day, and there was never any healing white stuff at all. Just a weird cave because my tooth had came in sideways. When I cleaned it, a small amount of blood and food bits came out and the pain was unbearable, but it went away. It is now the next day, but there is no pain like that, and still no white stuff. Maybe I just did it a little too hard and slightly damaged it? Do I have dry socket? Because there is no pain indicating it and it seems to be healing fine.
|

replied August 7th, 2012
Not if it was already surfaced when they took it out. The white stuff happens only when they have to take out impacted teeth. Those are the ones you should be worried about getting a dry socket with.
|

replied September 24th, 2012
It when from tooth ache to nasty hole ache....
I just got my lower left wisdom tooth pulled almost a week ago. When I look in my mouth I see a white hole with whitish bubbles coming out of it, very painfull to. Im getting kinda nervous because I had the tooth removed almost a week ago and it seems that the pain is getting worse. Is it infected? When will the pain start going away? Now instead of a tooth ache I have a grose hole ache.
|

replied September 24th, 2012
It when from tooth ache to nasty hole ache....
I just got my lower left wisdom tooth pulled almost a week ago. When I look in my mouth I see a white hole with whitish bubbles coming out of it, very painfull to. Im getting kinda nervous because I had the tooth removed almost a week ago and it seems that the pain is getting worse. Is it infected? When will the pain start going away? Now instead of a tooth ache I have a grose hole ache.
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2012
Will I get dry socket
The white stuff came off my extraction site last night !! I am worried now that I am going to get dry socket it has been a week and a half since my extraction !! Will the hole heal properly now if the white stuff is gone !??
|

replied November 19th, 2012
i got my wisdom teeth pulled a week ago. and all of the other 3 sockets r healing up fine except for one bottom one. the tooth was half way in when it was removed. so the doctor stitched it up but i dont think there was enough skin to cover the hole so the stitch came off early from tension being on it. now i can see inside the socket hole and its really white and bubbly. im wondering if the blot clot is still in there and is that normal? also alot of food goes right in but im making sure to rinse with salt water to get the food out. is the white stuff normal? it looks so gross
|

replied December 23rd, 2012
Tooth extraction
It sounds like I'm experiencing something similar. I had my second from the back lower molar out on Wednesday. Yesterday (Saturday) I went back to the dentist as I couldn't eat and was in pain and having read so much about Dry Socket I was panicking. The dentist never mentioned anything about dry socket he said it just looked like it may be infected. He cleaned it out with water and then put a TCP kind of dressing in it which almost numbed it! I have continued to wash my mouth with salt water and this morning the TCP dressing fell out whilst doing it. It now looks like an open hole, I still have an aching pain nothing that's not manageable and that paracetamol can't take away however this evening I have just noticed whiteness inside of it! I first thought it was bone and then thought it might be rice! So is it most likely it is just where it is healing? I'm just worried especially as it is Christmas in just two days!! Sad
|

replied January 2nd, 2013
I got surgery around 7 days ago..

got two baby teeth extractions and two impacted teeth exposed

theres a weird mushy white substance growing around the surgical site...is that an infection?

and yesterday..i coughed a bit too hard and felt the thick protective covering (added by the surgeon) over the exposed teeth move slight..after that i bled for ten minutes..
the bleeding stopped but the pain is very severe. Im supposed to be getting braces after this but im in pain...what do i do?
|

replied June 8th, 2013
My girlfriend just had an absessed tooth (molar) removed and she had white little pockets of stuff comming from inside the wound . Looks like it was pushed out from inside the wound and when it surfaced we removed it with toothpick and then another followed a day later. it is 2mm thick and 5mm round. There has been 4 over 4 days up to now and still not done. It is a solid that can be squeezed between fingers.
|

replied December 18th, 2013
Keeping it clean!
Lol ew. These posts are gross to read. I have the same thing going on though - Just had my wisdom teeth removed 6 days ago. I can only see the bottom two holes, but one is empty and clean with a fairly small hole while the other one is full of the white mushy stuff everyone is talking about. I honestly think different parts of your body just heal differently. It's nothing to worry about. I thought the same as all of you the first day I noticed the white stuff - That it was food. But I called the dentist and she said it's just scar tissue and it needs to be there to heal. So swish with salt water and brush your teeth gently as much as possible. If you keep it clean, you should be fine. And don't pick! Don't focus too much on the gross-looking white stuff or else your going to want it out and end up with dry socket and DIE. lol jk, but it will hurt!
So far, I'm totally fine. No pain, and I'm almost eating solid food already!
|

replied January 20th, 2014
White Stuff Good Bubbly Stuff Bad
I had 1 bottom wisdom tooth pulled 3 days ago. I went to the dentist office the day after having it pulled, so he could look at the extraction site and see if it was healing up right. It had a little bit of white stuff growing, and he informed me this was the clot and it was a good thing. But it definitely isn't bubbly at all and doesn't hurt. Those of you experiencing bubbly white stuff and pain, that sounds like an infection and I would go back to dentist if I were you. My dentist didn't charge me anything for the follow visit and I doubt many honest ones would.
|

replied March 7th, 2014
Hello. I had 7 teeth removed on monday. I too am having the same issue. I was told it was just the gums. I even stopped into my dental office yesterday and saw the nurse. She has been there forever and said it looked fine. Sometimes there will be the white tht comes off (i have had it happen twice since monday where i thought it was potatoes or something but it was just from the gums. I started freaking out thinking it was dry socket or something. You should be just fine but call the dentist if your worried! My pain is almost gone as well. Just a little sore in the gums still and a little uncomfortable.
|

replied April 3rd, 2014
Yes. Its normal to have white stuff on your gum after an extraction. In fact, its a good thing. It indicates proper healing. Do not try to dislodge anything yourself from your gums after an extraction. The salt water rinses will take care of that for you. I just had a top extraction 2days ago but many others in previous years. If you smoke, like I do, I suggest placing gauze over the extraction beforehand. Protect it for a good 5-7days until you know its healed.
|

replied April 3rd, 2014
Yes. Its normal to have white stuff on your gum after an extraction. In fact, its a good thing. It indicates proper healing. Do not try to dislodge anything yourself from your gums after an extraction. The salt water rinses will take care of that for you. I just had a top extraction 2days ago but many others in previous years. If you smoke, like I do, I suggest placing gauze over the extraction beforehand. Protect it for a good 5-7days until you know its healed.
|
Quick Reply