Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

White spots on mole - skin cancer?

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
I was wondering if anyone knows about mole/beauty mark changes. My wife just discovered that one of my moles had gotten a few white spots on it. As far as anyone of us remember, they have just developed. I have not been in the sun for months, and barely had any exposure during the summer. The mole is sticking up and is about 4 millimeters in diameter. I wish I could post a picture..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2011
In general, the following changes in moles (nevi) merit consideration of at least a biopsy: changes in size, symmetry, shape, borders, or/and elevation of the mole; changes in coloration; itching, ulceration, or/and bleeding.

You should ask your physician to consider a biopsy (or/and a referrral to a Dermatologist).

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied April 22nd, 2012
I've just noticed a white spot round the edge/bottom of my mole. I say bottom of my mole because it sticks up from skin a bit, always has but never had white spots before.
Anyone got any experience of this? I've got dermatology appointments in a few weeks so I'll bring it up.
|

replied April 24th, 2012
Would be great if you could post the comments from the dermatologist after your meeting!
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi DV90 and welcome to ehealth: Usually this can happen with aging...However, it is wise to get a yearly check up with a Dermatologist...If you or anyone is concerned, google cancerous moles and look on the image page...Here you will find what these look like...Usually you are talking about a color changing or many colored odd shaped mole that is possibly raised in some area and growing...Take care...

Caroline
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.