Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

White spot on side of tongue

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
For the last 2-4 months, I have had a bright white spot on the middle of the side of my tongue. When feeling it, it has slightly more of a coarse surface than the rest of the tongue. There isn't really any pain associated with it but it has that feeling like it's been rubbing against my molars. It was originally one small spot, but from what I think I've seen, it almost looks like it's split off into two separate but connected spots. The spots together are not even the size of a dime. When I saw my primary physician a couple of months back, he said it looked like scar tissue and that we could look at it again when I return for my physical (coming up next month). He said at the time that we could do a biopsy (from what I'm told, not a terribly pleasurable process of taking a tissue sample from the tongue) but because of my relative youth (34), the fact that I'm not an alcoholic, and the fact that I don't smoke (outside of maybe one cigar every year or so), he wasn't terribly worried. I wasn't a high risk statistically for anything cancerous. When I saw my dentist last week, I asked him about the spot. He agreed that it looked like some sort of scar tissue and even speculated that I bit my tongue badly at some point (although I don't remember doing so). He said that if the white became a creamy yellow color or if the white patch became surrounded by an angry red border, then he'd seek a doctor's appointment immediately. But since that isn't the case, he figured I could probably wait a month or so until my next appointment with my primary physician. Nonetheless, I'm a little worried about the spot.....it has, in my opinion, gotten a tiny bit bigger over the last couple of months. Anybody have any idea what this could be? Should I be worried about this? Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper haz33
|

replied May 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hey am not to sure what this actually is but you shouldnt be worried i have had these a number of times they are just little pimples as far as im concerned i know a lot of ppl who get these they are very common, i wouldnt worry about it, if you start getting a lot then maybe visit your doctor but other than that you can relax. jenny
|

replied May 7th, 2010
Hi there,
Did you ever find out what this is? My 4-year old daughter has a similar white patch on the side of her tongue, and I can''t for the life of me figure out what it is. I''ve taken her to the doctor but they had no idea what it was and recommended a biopsy. I didn''t want to put her through that since she has no pain. It has recently changed shape and seems to be getting a bit bigger. She''s had it for over a year.
|

replied September 12th, 2010
hey has the patch gone now
@haz33 has the patch gone now
|

replied October 23rd, 2011
does it protrude a little bit from the rest of your tongue and if you touch it does it maybe move around a bit like a joystick on a video game controler?
|

replied October 23rd, 2011
i think i might have the same thing
does it protrude a little bit from the rest of your tongue and if you touch it does it maybe move around a bit like a joystick on a video game controler?
|

replied February 20th, 2012
Help me decide what these hard patches on side of her tongue???
My mother has a patch on the side of his tongue. At first, it was a painful little red spot that turned into a big hard white patch. She went to the doctor and they want to remove the patches, instead of biopsy the patch they want to remove it. They do not know what this is or if it comes back. She is scheduled for surgery in march. She has questions and concerns but no answers. Please help....
|

replied February 20th, 2012
Help me decide what these hard patches on side of her tongue???
My mother has a patch on the side of his tongue. At first, it was a painful little red spot that turned into a big hard white patch. She went to the doctor and they want to remove the patches, instead of biopsy the patch they want to remove it. They do not know what this is or if it comes back. She is scheduled for surgery in march. She has questions and concerns but no answers. Please help....
|

replied April 20th, 2012
I been having a white patch on the right side of my tongue for 2 months...when I wake up in the morning is white and during the day it dissapear,, I seen a nose and throat doctor he said not to worried but im really scared I think about cancer all tge time im 26 and im a smoker and I drink on the weekends...Do anybody knows what this could be???? Please reply
|

replied June 27th, 2012
I had one on my tounge as well and my doctor said it was from chewing on it in my sleep. He recommended that I sleep on my back instead of my sides or stomache and it went away a few days later! So don't worry! It's just dead skin!
|

replied July 27th, 2012
This is a hallmark of EBV infection, or MONO.
|

replied August 27th, 2012
Oral cancer???
Okay people let me share a new demographic with you - young people 20-50 - non smokers and non drinkers who end up with oral cancer - I know a young man 18 who had very aggressive tongue cancer - light drinker non smoking - I too have been diagnosed tongue cancer - im older - in my fourties - but don't drink - at all - have never smoked - and I'm a vegetarian - most drs will say no - not possible - too young - no precursors - and not check until its too late - if its there for more than 2 mos push for a biopsy - since I was diagnosed I've met 4 young people with the same diagnosis - 1 was 22 with a 2 year old and she passed away last year - another 27 just died a month ago - another young woman was first diagnosed during pregnancy - they only removed it - she's facing a recurrence and has to do radiation and chemo - when she was in visiting her surgical oncologist he told her he had 5 pregnant women with the same type of cancer and no precursors - just a heads up and Im not talking HPV related oral cancer (usually found in the tonsil, and throat - base of tongue) region.
|

replied July 8th, 2013
Im having white spots on both sides of my tongue and I have red little dots on the surface of my tongue I'm really scared. Please help me
|

replied July 8th, 2013
Im having white spots on both sides of my tongue and I have red little dots on the surface of my tongue I'm really scared. Please help me
|

replied July 8th, 2013
I have white spots on both sides of my tongue and on the surface I have red spots. I'm reallybworried. I do have diabetes maybe that has something to do with it. Please help me find out.
|

replied July 8th, 2013
The good news is cancer doesn't often occur like this. Usually if has one primary location and from this place it generally moves to the nodes - so what you have isn't likely cancer but it shouldn't be ignored - do have it checked by a qualified professional - an ENT preferably - best of luck!
|