Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

White pieces coming from my throat

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
For the past 12 years or so, I have had a problem with an off-white, semi-firm substance "growing" in pockets in the sides of my throat. Every now and then I'll cough a piece of it out. It looks similar to a piece of cottage cheese, but is very foul smelling. I went to a doctor who I think decided before she even saw me that I had strep throat and gave me antibiotics - which did nothing for me. This is a pretty much constant thing and has no relation to my being sick, as I am rarely sick. What are those pockets in my throat, why is this stuff coming out of them and how can I fix it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 6th, 2010
The white balls are Tonsil Stones, I get them too. They are coming out of the slits in your tonsils, and they are made up of white blood cells and food. The only way to rid yourself of them is to remove your tonsils.
|

replied July 6th, 2010
This is totally guessing here but could it be thrush? Look it up on the internet and see if that sounds like what you have. Look here: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/ oralthrush.htm
|

replied September 10th, 2010
tonsil stones
I get them too. I've done a lot of research about them and they are tonsiliths (tonsil stones as mebolicious says). For me, it seems they increase when I've eaten a lot of dairy products--especially high fat ones with high sugar content.

I hate to admit this, but I enjoy trying to get them out. I have a magnifying mirror and use a cotton swab to try to coax them out. They are rather disgusting and I hate the idea of them coming out in their time rather than mine.
|