Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

White inside ears, no fever, ear pain?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I went to the doctor and she found that my ears, instead of being red and showing traditional signs of an ear infection, she said something about them being white inside or them having white stuff inside. She said that my throat had a LOT of white mucus in the back of it. I have no had any cold or flu symptoms. The problems that I have had with ears have been: Soreness (comes and goes) of the outer ear, such as when laying my head against a pillow, pressure from both ears, increased pressure when bending down in my ears, persistant minor ear pain in both ears, minor sinus pain, I have had NO FEVER, no sneezing, no coughing, no runny nose, no other allergy or cold symptoms. My doctor did NOT seem confident in her diagnosis of ear infection or her decision to give me a 10 day dose of Amoxicillin. I am three days into my antibiotics and still having ear pain. My gut says she mis-diagnosed me and I don't like the idea of having ear problems that arent being treated properly. Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper UnbearableEars
|

replied October 11th, 2011
Someone PLEASE help! My doctors don't know and don't care whats going on and when I called and told them that the antibiotics were doing NOTHING they ordered me a different type of antibiotics! Obviously they didn't read the chart and are just trying to give me something to make me go away. I am worried about my ears and am starting to notice a slight dullness to my hearing, doesn't someone know anything that could help me?
|

replied October 11th, 2011
Someone PLEASE help! My doctors don't know and don't care whats going on and when I called and told them that the antibiotics were doing NOTHING they ordered me a different type of antibiotics! Obviously they didn't read the chart and are just trying to give me something to make me go away. I am worried about my ears and am starting to notice a slight dullness to my hearing, doesn't someone know anything that could help me?
|

replied October 19th, 2011
Join the club! I am in London UK and have had an ongoing ear problem for many weeks now. My ears at one point swelled completely shut. I had pain, pressure, itching and the skin just inside my ears seems to be flaky and white. I had 2 courses of Amoxicillin - did no good whatsoever. I have seen several doctors and eventually I managed to get an appointment with the ENT (that took 3 weeks and I was told that I was lucky to be seen within 3 months!) The doctor there is next to useless - just looked in one ear (my problems are with both) and said that it looked like it was getting better and that I must return for a hearing test! The reason I cannot hear is that I still have pain and terrible itching and constant tinitus! I just despair of the NHS. An American friend of mine has suggested going to a homeopathic doctor? I guess its worth a try? I feel like I have water trapped behind the ears? It sounds like gurgling if I move my head around and when I speak its like echoes of my own voice inside my ears! Is Mucinex any good? Does it work for ear canal drainage? Its driving me nuts!!
|

replied October 21st, 2011
a third century of ears
I have identical issues. They started in Dec 1987 - that's right 34 years ago! The external ear canals started first - diagnosed as Otitus Externa. Nobody could do anything despite different attempts - most common attempt was kenacomb. In last decade, things got worse. very sore ear canals like tinea / psoriasis with a 10 day cycle: OK for 3 days, then pus from ear, then sores in ear canal, then they form scabs, flake, itch, and heal - then it starts over again. About 7 years ago, i have had a new attempt with thorough cleaning/syringing (again). It is very embarrassing and sore and skin flakes would be all over my shoulders from my ears. I have had antibiotics many times. Lately, i have had 12 months of no sores or flakes - yay! But my inner ears have ringing (tinitus) and i can feel and hear fluid sloshing around inside. I have just had a brain ct scan and am scheduled next week for a hearing test. I await the results.
|

replied March 18th, 2012
Hi im from Scotland in the UK....My mother has suffered from problems with her ears & loosing her hearing & had to wear her hearing aid now n again for a number of yrs now. I myself had countless ear operations due to constant ear infections...However my mum over the yrs has getting ear infections constant until they got seriously bad about 1-2 yrs ago her both ears started swelling & the ear canal and ear entrance were starting to close, and constant itch in both ears & tht very same sound & symptoms as yourself JAY48, so she was taken for tests & after serveral visits to the hospital to have her ears tested & all the puss and running fluids drained the Consultants etc diagnosed her with very severe dermotitis inside both ears & told her tht when this gets into the ears there is no way of curing it but just to treat it everyday with this yellow antibiotic steroid cream, very strong ear drops and just to go every 2-3 wks to have the puss & fluids drained & since just before these symptoms started she had 40% fair hearing in 1 ear & 20% poor hearing in the other before the symptoms & the diagnosis with dermotitis in both ears now she is deaf in 1 ear completely & only 15% hearing in the other ear tht is how severe dermotitis is when it starts in the ears & also with it being in her ears it can be treated with ear drops etc but there is no total cure for it...So pls anyone suffering from as much as a constant itch in your ears pls have it seen to and dealt with asap as we knew my mum would gradually loose her hearing over the yrs but unfortunately she has lost it quicker than expected due to dermotitis inside both her ears...And this is so sad & heartbreaking to watch & deal with & through due time i will loose my hearing hopefully not quickly through the way my mum is suffering severally & also very frustrating for my poor mum mainly & me & all our family x
|

replied October 21st, 2011
Hmmm, my symptoms seem to be following yours in that the problem clears up (except for the tinitus) and then returns. The fluid sloshing around is exactly what I experience as well. Its misery isn't it - I have often gone out with friends and had to sit all evening holding my ear open so that I can hear them a little bit better! The problem seems to switch ears - sometimes right then left and on one occasion both! I am also waiting for a hearing test so will update as soon as I can.
|