Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

When pregnancy makes you sick -- literally.

"Cheryl Harrison, 34, was nine weeks into a planned second pregnancy when she decided she couldn't continue any more, and had a termination. The reason? Morning sickness so severe it made her vomit more than 25 times a day, and left her unable to care for her toddler."

Some women have morning sickness so severely they need to be hospitalised, suffering from dehydration. Before intravenous drips were invented, women could actually die of vomiting during pregnancy.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 30th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
I remember reading about this last week. I felt very sorry for her, especially because the pregnancy was intended and wanted. What sickens me is that there are people who don't believe puking constantly is a severe enough health issue to warrant an abortion. They don't seem to understand that constant vomiting like that will not only lead to dehydration and starvation, but permanent damage to the stomach lining as well.

It's so sad that people see women as expendable breeding fodder. I'm just glad this woman had the option to make her own medical decision and preserve her health...maybe even her life. Nobody else should have the right to decide how life-threatening it has to be before a woman can terminate a hazardous pregnancy.
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2010
Experienced User
Darkmoon wrote:
I remember reading about this last week. I felt very sorry for her, especially because the pregnancy was intended and wanted. What sickens me is that there are people who don't believe puking constantly is a severe enough health issue to warrant an abortion. They don't seem to understand that constant vomiting like that will not only lead to dehydration and starvation, but permanent damage to the stomach lining as well.

It isn't all that good for the teeth, either. Severe bulimics end up with a mouthful of rot or dentures in short order.

Darkmoon wrote:
It's so sad that people see women as expendable breeding fodder. I'm just glad this woman had the option to make her own medical decision and preserve her health...maybe even her life. Nobody else should have the right to decide how life-threatening it has to be before a woman can terminate a hazardous pregnancy.

I think we're safe for the time being. With Obama in office - if he doesn't flip flop on the issue - laws will be made to further protect a woman's right to choose. If FOCA is enacted and enforced, it will override all local restrictions and abortion will become available in every city in which a clinic wants to set up shop.
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
So the link to the article has been removed by the powers-that-be! I suggested that since this is a DEBATE forum, that posting links to things worthy of debate might be appropriate. If you want to read the article, go the the guardian website, guardian.co.uk, and search for morning sickness.

Here are a few more of the relevant paragraphs -- I don't want to infringe copyright!:

"Harrison said the abortion was "the most horrendous decision I have ever made". But she simply couldn't cope, she told a newspaper last week. "I was vomiting morning, noon and night . . . I had one day where I could not move from the bathroom. I couldn't get Scarlett [her toddler] anything to eat even though she was starving. I dragged myself across the floor, managed to get her some chocolate from the fridge and thought, 'I can't do this again.' "

"Around seven in 10 pregnant women have episodes of nausea during pregnancy; but a smaller number, around one in 50, suffers the kind of extreme sickness, or "hyperemesis gravidarum", experienced by Harrison. And for one in 100, the symptoms are bad enough to require hospital treatment, usually because they've become so dehydrated that they need intravenous fluids."
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Ugh, hyperemesis gravidarum...had that with my first pregnancy. It is NOT fun. Twice, I was admitted to the hospital for dehydration. I was lucky, in the aspect that there was a medicine that controlled my nausea and vomiting. The harsh reality of HG is that sometimes NO medicine (or at least no medicine safe for pregnancy) works and termination sometimes is the only way to get relief. And no, it is not good for ANY body system/organ/part to be deprived of nutrients, which, in severe cases, HG does. Of course, I am sure the pro-life side will find some excuse as to why abortions for this dangerous and very uncomfortable condition are not warranted ("you should eat healthier and then maybe you wouldn't throw up so much"...total and utter BS)
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2010
Experienced User
Oh my goodness. What causes that?
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2010
Community Volunteer
MsKitty325 wrote:
Oh my goodness. What causes that?
Doctors are still not quite sure, but basically HG is morning sickness on steroids. Doctors *think* that it could be caused by an imbalance in early pregnancy hormones (think HcG, progesterone, human chorionic somatommatrophin [HCS], relaxin, etc). One doctor I spoke to says that overproduction of the hormone relaxin may be in large part to blame, as it is the hormone responsible for ligament, tendon, muscle and bone relaxation. This hormone is what allows the uterus to stretch without tearing, the ligaments/tendons/bones around the pelvic cavity to relax to accomodate the growing uterus, and it also allows your digestive system to slow down and relax a bit to allow for room for the uterus to grow. Relaxin is partially responsible for heartburn (acid reflux) during the last few months of pregnancy. Although things are getting cramped and the reflux is partially due to the uterus cramping up stomach space, relaxin also makes it worse by ALLOWING all smooth muscle, including the esophagus, a bit of laziness.
|