Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

when do epidurals start to work? chronic back pain sufferer

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hi,
thank you for reading my post, i guess if u are reading this u are also suffering Mad
in short i have had episodes of back pain on and off for many years,but this episode has been chronic 4 5 months.

symptoms are lower back pain, burning/pain in buttock and burning/pain in groin/hip
meds tramadol/paracetomol/diazapam

i am under a rheumatologist, and have prev had steriod inj and manual manipulation, none have worked, next started physio and he was unhappy to continue due to the pain.

i have recently had a epidural performed by the rheumatologist and am sad to say 8 days on im back to square one with pain Crying or Very sad

am i being impatient, could it stilll work and if not what next!
i want my life back!
thank u for any help xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jules44
|

replied May 9th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
hi jules...why are you seeing a rheumatologist have you been diagnosed with RA?
if you are suffering this long and no relief have you had extensive testing? like mri. you need diagnosis. usually after 3 months of pain like yours its time to see a back surgeon because they know spine best. not that you need surgery but just to see whats wrong. i doubt ESI will work if it hasnt already. at least thats how it was for me....pete
|

replied May 12th, 2011
Hi Pete,
Thank u for ur reply.
Im under a rheumatologist because i had joint probs in the past, was told many years ago that it was reactive arthritis but now they think it cud be fibromylegia? so he has took charge of my back pain alto he seems very uninterested in my back pain!
had a bad episode this week, legs went numb and pain got worse, my gp has referred me 4a mri next week so hopefully this will show what the problem is and what treatment is needed.
thanx again xxx
|

replied May 13th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
it makes sense to get an mri. its always a good idea to have a surgeon view it as apposed to just the radiologist. the surgeon knows so much more about the spine. ....pete
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2011
Experienced User
jules44,

Let us know what the MRI says. If you have disc isssues, a Chiropractor should be able to help. Sometimes, it could take weeks for a cortisone shot to take a full effect on the pain. The first few days could cause you more pain than what you were in. I have to say one thing, I had cortisone shots on and off for two years. It wreaked havoc on my immune system and that started a domino effect of issues such as New environmental & food allergies, infections, issues with the skin, Headaches from the new allergies and now I am researching Leaky gut syndrome when I thought I had carpel tunnel or RA since it turned out not to be either of those. I am now taking a super vitamin for women that has anti-oxidants in it. I bought it from GNC and I can already tell the difference. I hope the shots dont cause issues for you like they did me. I read, researched and spoke to people who have had shots for years and nearly all of them had this domino effect. If you come across anything, feel free to ask me any questions and I can share my experiences with you. Good luck to ya!
|

replied May 19th, 2011
Hi jules44,
I have had ZERO luck with epidurals. I have had degenerative disc disease and in the last 6 years I have had a failed surgery and about 8 epidurals with various doctors and not once have they helped, not even for a day. My father has DDD as well and when he gets an epidural the relief lasts about 2-3 weeks. So, they don't always work. Actually for me, the pain was much greater for several days when one particular doctor performed them. My current doctor (who I see this morning for a discogram...not looking forward to the pain today) but he is like butter when performing any procedure so even though his epidurals didn't work, at least they weren't painful.
Good Luck
|