Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

what should I do after a fall and having pain in the shoulder

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I fell three days ago and have been having shoulder pain where I did impact when I fell but I keep having burning in that same shoulder should I see a docotr or give it more time
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2012
Especially eHealthy
momleh,

Only you know how much pain you are in. Also, how much function you have lost.

If it is only minimal pain and function loss (ie can do everything, but have some discomfort) then you may want to just wait it out.

However, if you are having significant pain, and function loss, then you may need to see a physician for an evaluation.

In young adults, falls on the point of the shoulder usually affect the ACJ (acromioclavicular joint). Though these can be painful, they are usually not treated surgically (unless there is a fracture in the ACJ). Even with high performance throwing athletes, there is still controversy as to the optimal treatment for these.

However, in the older population, falls onto the shoulder can result in proximal humeral fractures.

If it was a fall on an outstretched hand or onto the elbow, resulting in shoulder pain, one has to also rule out rotator cuff tears and possible shoulder dislocations.

So, there are a lot of things that can happen when the shoulder is injured. Again, only you know how much the shoulder hurts and your resulting loss of function.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply