Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

what risks and effects could happen in general?

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
User Profile
As a type one diabetic, I know all the signs.. well almost.

I've had diabetes for 12 years.. I'm pretty good about caring for myself, but i know i could do better.

Just recently I've been having these twitches in my foot. Around the area of the arch and then it escalates in that moment to to the big toe, this is all on my left foot. I was just wondering what this means? I know that my toes can be amputated off. Is this a sign that, this will be heading my way shortly? And can what some more risks that, and effects, that could happen in general?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2011
(online)
Diabetes Answer A29214
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The twitches that you have described could be a indicator of benign fasciculations, which can occur even in most normal individuals.

Unless, they are very severe and cause much functional problems, treatment is not needed.

Such conditions actually do not need amputation of toes.

The condition that you are worried about, which may need amputation is diabetic neuropathy induced gangrene of the foot. But this will occur only with foot related injuries.

You might consult with your treating doctor who can examine you and counsel you accordingly.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.