Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

What is transitional vertebra at lumbosacral junction

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I suffered severe lower back ache for about a week. now it is almost gone. Xray report says ," transitional vertebra at lumbosacral junction". what does this mean ? please help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper satis
|

replied April 16th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Your lumbar spine is made up of five vertebrae. They sit on top of the sacrum which is the bone in the center of your pelvis. The sacrum is made up of 4 or 5 vertebrae that are fused together. They have a different shape that the lumbar vertebrae.

A transitional vertebrae is a vertebrae that has taken on some of the characteristics of the adjacent vertebrae. A lumbar vertebrae may resemble a sacral vertabra. Or a sacral vertabra may resemble the lumbar vertabra.

Somtimes the vertabra are well formed and function well. Other times they are irregular with bony spurs that can impinge the nerves.

Transitional vertabra can cause problems but not always. I would suggest you take great care of your spine as its possible you are predisposed to having problems with your back.
|
Users who thank rollar64 for this post: satis 

replied April 17th, 2012
hello rollar64 thank youfor reading and the comprehensive reply. thanks
|

replied April 20th, 2012
My 10year old daughter has been having severe lower back pain for a year now. She was just told that she has a transitional vertabrae or an L6. Since the doctor is not 100% sure that her back pain is caused by this additional vertabrae he is reluctant to do surgery. He told her she has to live with the pain. I am not interested at this time to have my daughter do any surgery however I am not happy that she was told (at 10years old) to live with the pain. Are there any known treatments, therapy etc that can alleviate the pain? Thank you in advance for any help!!
|

replied April 20th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Some transitional vertebrae are well formed and function well. Some are roughly formed and asymmetrical, bone spurs and irregular features can impinge nerves and interrupt normal movement of the spinal segments. As there is no way to change the shape of the vertebra with out surgery treatment can be difficult.

It would be handy to know whether your daughters transitional vertebra is malformed and therefore more likely to be causing her pain. You need good information to make good health care decisions.

I would recommend you do a lot of reading on the subject. I don't know of any treatments that help treat the transitional vertebra directly but muscle weakness or postural problems could develop due to pain or pore posture. They could be contributing to the pain or may cause problems in the future.

You might want to see a physiatrist or an orthopedist to get sme advise about the best course of action. make sure who ever you see is quality health care provider.
|