Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

What is the recovery time for muti discectomy from L2 - S1

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
i am having surgery on my back, decompression from l2 -S1 what is the recovery time and typical outcome?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2011
Hi, You seem concerned about the lumber decompression surgery.
Most patients will remain in the hospital for 1-3 days after the procedure. During this period the patient will be given fluids and antibiotic medications intravenously to prevent infection. Medications for pain will be given every three to four hours, or through a device known as a PCA (patient-controlled anesthesia).
Most surgeons prefer to see patients one week after surgery to remove stitches and check for any postoperative complications. Patients should not drive or return to work before their check-up. A second follow-up examination is usually done 4-8 weeks after the lumber decompression surgery.
You can help speed your recovery by taking short walks on a daily basis, avoiding sitting or standing in the same position for long periods of time, taking brief naps during the day and sleeping on the stomach or the side. You may take a daily bath or shower without needing to cover the incision. The incision should be carefully patted dry, however, rather than rubbed.
Normal results depend on the cause of the lower back pain. The mortality rate for a lumber decompression surgery is between 0.8% and 1%. Rates of complications depend partly on whether a spinal fusion is performed as part of the procedure while the general rate of complications following a lumbar decompression surgery is given as 6–7%, the rate rises to 12% of a spinal fusion has been done.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|

replied August 29th, 2013
L2-S1 Spinal fusion
Had L2-S1 spinal fusion on 8-22-13, pain is uncontrolled and I am in a rehab hospital,(today 8-29-13) because left leg doesn't work, and tongue is still numb as well as left arm tingling, surgery was a lot rougher than i had anticipated.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.