Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

What is the point of life (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Hi i'm not really sure why it is i'm writing this i guess it's because i have spent the afternoon reading various other story's.
i would say i have serve depression thats what i believe not really sure but i have been this way for a long time and i have been able to keep it to me self but recently it has become worse i have worked out the best way to kill myself down to the detail where i'm least likly to be found. i not sure why i'm like this but i have always been this way even from a early age i remember i tried to hang my self with a school jumper and various other occassions i have thought about death pretty much for as long as i can remember.
i have given up on anything that i used to enjoy friends / girlfriends / hobbies. and to be honest i don't care that i have lost that stuff. i look back and i can't remember what it was i enjoyed about them in the first place.
and i don't believe in god so please no god quotes please! what do i expect after death Nothing, darkness.
ahh that what i was gonna say i got side track. why should i continue living if i don't want to live

regards
LG
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lildansta
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2009
Experienced User
Well from what i know, it's to serve GOD.
|

replied October 7th, 2009
ok that's a fair answer but point less, if this god of your exists then why would he need us to serve him if he is all mighty and powerful what difference would it make if we didn't.
and plus i have proberly committed a few sins in my time that would mean me going to hell. lol
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2013
Experienced User
The fact some of us do not believe, doesn't mean it is not true. There are laws in place that require a certain pattern, just like our solare system. All of us revolves around just laws, that if we continued on allowing the world and the voices in our heards that are not of the God that does exist, there will be consiquences for our behaviour wheather we believe it or not.
|

replied February 27th, 2013
True
Why serve if he is so powerful
|

replied July 3rd, 2013
In praise you give and offering to God, in worship you ARE the offering -Bill Johnson
|

replied August 9th, 2013
That is not true at all! God is there, and he is because we are. He cares more for you than anyone else ever could compare too, and since he does, why would he allow us to be taken from Him so easily? We all sin, which is just doing wrong, but His one son died for all of us and our sins, and thus allowing us to be forgiven. His name was Jesus and he was the human and son form of God. Life was made because God was lonely and had no one to glorify or love Him. He is perfect, and so it's not wrong for Him to want that. He wanted us to love Him with all of our hearts as He did, and for us to love each other. I myself am not depressed, but I do wonder often what the point is. But it helps me knowing God is there watching over and protecting me. I hope that you can see him on your life. Smile
|

At first...I want to apologize, I don´t know English very well. I just learn it...Please correct my mistakes.

I think it´s hard to say what is the point of life, because everyone from us has different view on life. If I were you I would try to help other people whose need you help. Sometimes I have the same feeling, I think what to do with my life, but me, you and everybody still have chance to find point of life. Just try it.
|

i have all but given up but i suppose thats my survival instinct kicking in.
and your english is fine
|

I am not sure what you wanted to say...
|

goodbye
|

User Profile
Experienced User
lg_lg_20 wrote:
ok that's a fair answer but point less, if this god of your exists then why would he need us to serve him if he is all mighty and powerful what difference would it make if we didn't.
and plus i have proberly committed a few sins in my time that would mean me going to hell. lol

No it would'nt and yes he is almighty.
|

Extremely eHealthy
The meaning of life is an awefully big question. In truth I don't think anyone on this forum can tell you what the point of life is. A lot of people believe they are destined to in some small way help advance the course of society or human history. Still others strive to make a lasting impression on the world. Some think the point of life is to find a greater personal understanding of the universe. I believe that life is to be lived and you should relish every second you're given for the potential of happiness or beauty you can experience.

Regardless of what you feel the point of life is there isn't a logical argument, that you were given it just to throw it away. Your mind and body, despite your opinion of them, are remarkable tools designed to allow you to accomplish great things in the time you have in life. Life continually presents opportunities for you to do the things you want wheather you notice them or not. It's far to convenient that purpose seems to surround us all to think it is just coincidence.

Maybe you should put some thought into what interrests you in life and pursue it.
|
Users who thank W0LF for this post: neb6  Tigertim36 

replied January 26th, 2010
That is the question everyone has to answer I suppose. Why live? Many people before you actually have tried to answer this question, great philosophers you could say, but there is a certain number of them who have actually written about what you are experiencing. Angst, the absurdity of reality, absurdity of religion, etc. Philosophers like Soren Kierkegaard, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Albert Camus have written about these topics. Very interesting insights I would say. I don't know if it may be of interest of you to read about them or read about what Existentialism is. Wikipedia is a good start. I would suggest looking up Albert Camus and absurdity as a good beginning. Who knows... it might be helpful to you, if you chose to do this. You don't have to.

I'll leave you with a thought: Every individual life is unique but if you were to end your own life, would you have any regrets? We don't know what lies beyond but maybe life is worth living simply for the passions and the thrill ride itself of what may occur.

Sorry if this was a waste of time to you. Just wanted to help.
|
Users who thank vika77 for this post: seanravensdale 

User Profile
Experienced User
lg_lg_20 wrote:

I understand your questions and response, but you see, only those that GOD of the bible(the one and only true GOD) has chosen to save and paid for their sins way before he made this universe, will serve him.

Although he can and will use unsaved man to do what he wants them to do, as you can read in some parts of the bible.
I know it's very very confusing, ultimately he rules over all, not if that makes any sense at all? but it's true.

As for those sins you talk about, every man in this world is a sinner, if you didn't have sin then he wouldn't have had to come to this earth to demonstrate how he paid for those he has elected to save in the first place.

Also, hell isn't an eternal place where the unsaved go to spend eternity suffering, that would mean they are still in continuous existence, that would me that GOD is not a merciful GOD and that can not be.
That's why he gives the example in the bible, when he sets the law that a man can not receive more than 40 lashes, because the one giving the lashes would seem cruel.
That's GOD saying man will not suffer eternally, when a man dies, he's dead, there's no suffering once a man is dead, they will never ever live again, he will never have conteous existence again.
And that can't be, when you study the bible you will see that GOD has revealed tons more info on these matters.

To sum it up, it is the GOD of the bible that is supreme ruler over men, not even satan can stand before him and do what he wants, he will be destroyed very very soon, he knows the end is a 15 months and some days away.

I hope i cleared some things up concerning GOD, remember, the one true GOD OF THE BIBLE is a very very MERCIFUL GOD, who know, maybe you and i also can be amongst those he has died for before the foundation of the world.

I'll pray for you, just begin to read your bible and pray, maybe HE will open you eyes and save you.

That my hope for my life and i hope HE saves you too.
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
I'm sorry, but this sort of myopic platitude is just the kind of thing that disgusts me in forums that are meant to help people who are feeling miserable. You say to read the bible. I've got some reading for you.

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm

If you have the courage, I suggest you read this entire web page. It is historically accurate. Once you are done reading, ask yourself if the words of men -- violent, greedy, sadistic, and self-serving men -- could ever come close to delivering an accurate depiction of what's really behind the veil of the universe. I understand that you are trying to help, but so am I.

To lg_lg_20, I am sorry for this holy roller's tyrade but I'd like to share my opinion on purpose... purpose comes from doing what you are good at, and trying new things so that you discover more things that you are good at. This means saying yes more than saying no. It means following when someone offers to lead. And you have to talk to people for this to happen. You have to go outside. I have my own story, and I am afraid I have come close to a precipice because my problems and my inability to cope have pushed away all those that could have helped me right now. I'm telling you what I think in the hope that you have people you can talk to, and that you can accomplish what I cannot. Best of luck to you.
|
Users who thank WaitingForTheEnd for this post: AlexHarvey 

Sooner or later u find that everything is pointless and nothing is long term
Even if u satisfy urself it ain't gonna last
|

replied October 19th, 2011
Stupid Preachers
I am glad you like god and everything but can you please keep your opinion to yourself? No one wants to listen to someone on the Internet preaching. I don't have a problem with religion. In fact, I support it. The one thing that I don't support, however, are inconsiderate people like you. You don't realize that your god is not the one and only god, it is an opinion. Some people may have a different way of life, and you need to respect it. You are very immature and need to grow up.
|
Users who thank Tjxsgjg47874 for this post: FromTheFuture 

True
Waiting for the end unot suppose to be here
If u really think outta the box then u know its pointless
U believe it good for u
But not everybody is like u
|

replied December 11th, 2011
Okay, the guy don't believe in God, so leave it at that. I don't believe in him either. I don't believe in him because he has done nothing for me in my life. I've tried going to church many times in my life, and I just don't feel comfortable in the house of God. It's a personal choice. You believe in God because of faith, you actually have no proof of his being. The bible is not a valid point of argument to prove he is real, it's nothing but a book written by man. Leave the poor boy alone about his choice in faith. I hate people who believe in God because they're always so pushy about their faith. This makes us hate God even more. If he really wanted us to believe that badly, he try himself.
|

replied October 22nd, 2012
You're wrong, there is not a choosen set of people that will be saved. We have the choice as free willed humans to save and guide new believers to Christ. There is no set number. The world or satan isn't going to end in a certain amount of days as you say, nobody in all of heaven, even Gods highest Angela know when. As for Hell, it is real place, where non-believers like everyone on this forum who "hates God" for no apparent reason, because He's done "nothing for them". Read the bible, it CLEARLY states that Hell is real, and thr people will suffer for eternity. As for you people who don't believe in God, He is a merciful, loving God. If you don't think God has done anything for you, think about it, he put you in America. He (hopefully) has given you a decent life. But he nevers says life will be easy. Only that he gives his hardest struggles to his strongest warriors. And if you say the bible is a "2000 year old fictional book" then how is the bible the only religious book ever to have all of its prophecies come true, you can google that one, and no other religion has. And I'm talking prophecies in the bible. Not that these radical so called "Christians" that predict the worlds gonna end here and now. Because as I said before, no one in the universe, besides God himself, knows when the world will end.
|

vika77 wrote:
That is the question everyone has to answer I suppose. Why live? Many people before you actually have tried to answer this question, great philosophers you could say, but there is a certain number of them who have actually written about what you are experiencing. Angst, the absurdity of reality, absurdity of religion, etc. Philosophers like Soren Kierkegaard, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Albert Camus have written about these topics. Very interesting insights I would say. I don't know if it may be of interest of you to read about them or read about what Existentialism is. Wikipedia is a good start. I would suggest looking up Albert Camus and absurdity as a good beginning. Who knows... it might be helpful to you, if you chose to do this. You don't have to.

I'll leave you with a thought: Every individual life is unique but if you were to end your own life, would you have any regrets? We don't know what lies beyond but maybe life is worth living simply for the passions and the thrill ride itself of what may occur.

Sorry if this was a waste of time to you. Just wanted to help.

EDIT: Forgive me. I just remembered something. I was pressed by time before due to having had to go class but I remembered reading a novel entitled "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger. Sorry for all the philosophy talk but you might find this novel interesting and/or relatable? If you haven't already read it that is. Definitely a good book though, in my opinion at least.

Regards.
|

replied March 24th, 2010
I have to say vika, I would not have any regrets. I know in my heart I was born to explore, I was born for adventure. But I was also born into a pour family, even now as an adult im struggling to pay bills, to scape by. We are all just dying slowly,and our society thrives on misery, mayham and death. Ive ben thinking about this alot lately, infact when im lying in bed waiting to go to sleep I think of death in all forms. death of loved one, death of myself, of pets. How im going to die. Ive also pondered the point of life, we humans do not know our true reason for existence but yet we make rules, and guidelines and create moral values of what is right and wrong. I am in my own personal prison, like my legs are cut off, I cannot explore, theres is no adventure. I love science and would be amazing at it if I where properly educated.
But due to past mistakes my education is no more. I can barely afford to live let alone go to school. But my point is we do not know what is after death, the closest thing we have understanding where you go when you die is astral projection. Some of us where just not ment to live, I dont plan on living past 50. once my body degrades and my mind starts going that will be the line for me. Right now I have a few medical problems that have ben eating at me physically. chronic eczema is the biggest. Ive became a microphob in my adult days, like I can see the microbes when someone sneezes, or are sick. or dust particles etc. my every move is based around whether it will do damage to my body or not. Almost like my head is tearing itself apart, And im tired of it. If I knew the point of our existence I would be more at ease. but the world is going down hill fast, and I do not want a part of it.
I was meant to be exploring the amazon,space or the deepest darkest parts of the world. but what is after death is the true abyss. We are made of physical matter and energy, the energy is kenetic energy, and as most should know this type of energy cannot be destroyed. so even after our physical form is gone we still wonder, we go somewhere. And who ever says heaven or hell is full of crud. our existence is more complex then going to to places when you die, that is the outcome of your choices in the physical life.
anyways...
|

replied March 24th, 2010
If someone was able to tell you the meaning of life, would that cure or solve what you are going through?
|

At first yes
Late stages no
|

replied March 29th, 2010
I don't know..but i don't think pleasure or happiness has a thing to do with it. there is a process (living), results (impact/effect) and by-products (success/failure, happiness/sadness). we are machines, more than anything else. DOn't believe me? check out the preggers forum. Those chicks are sick, scared, sleazy, children with no purpose but to spread their legs. It's what they are here to do. Everyone has a function. Idk mine, as i HATE this world, HATE people, but love life (animals,plants, nature in general).I never thought I'd make it to 16..then 18..now im on the verge of 23 and I wish I weren't. But, I take comfort in knowing that now i am closer to my end than ever before. I guess I'm living to die. And until i do, i will operate as programmed: to help others despite my hate and myself.
|

replied March 30th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
college_loser_alpha
If anything in the pregnancy forums should prove something to you, it's that we're not machines. We're not rational, we don't do what's best for ourselves and we're not even good at our function. Most of us are malfunctioning a good portion of the time and it's the only way we can do what we do. Your life -is- ending one minute at a time. Those minutes can be incredible memorable events you can savor or they can be minutes that feel like hours that you have to endure so you can suffer through another minute. Strive for a life that pleases you if only to make the wait until you die more pleasant.
|

replied May 4th, 2010
Ok I will like to add a couple of things to this forum. Firstly, Whether god does or doesnt exist is irrelevent to the issue presented here we do not live for god we live for ourselves. So please keep god out of it because as far as i am concerned I believe in MODERN science not a 2000 year old fictional book. Anyway back to the topic of what is the point of life, well to be hoenst there is none, in fact millions of years ago when the homo-sapien species started developing from the apes we see in the discovery channel(LOL) there was a point to life and this point was to increase the population adn that is our instinct, our instinct is to be born go through childhood where you learn have babies and then die. Now we are the most powerful species on earth there is no need for this. But, you know what life is like a video game every day you get a new challenge boring or exciting just like a mission on your video games console. So to conclude the point of life in this day and age is to live until the next day, LG you are clearly unahppy person and so was I, but what made me change was doing new tasks, new tasks occupy you and make you stop thinking about why life is so bad, you find yourself a couple friends a girlfriend get laid get a job and then in the future have kids and the after all this ask yourself is life worth living or not.
|

replied May 23rd, 2010
the point of life is to help others, the earth, animals, children whereever it is needed. it is not to be squandered. i sometimes look at the human race and am disgusted but i try and will continue on trying to be a good person and that is the point.
|

replied October 19th, 2011
That is very true.
|

Even if u help them they will eventually die and the feeling of being helped doesn't last long
Most of the time they forget
|

replied May 31st, 2010
The point of life is that life has no point.
You have to give it one.
|

replied May 31st, 2010
In response to lg-lg-20
I'm at the same point. I have everything worked out. Planned.
I'm painfully depressed. I fight everyday to survive.
It is comforting (in a sad way) to know others are in the same boat- it's amazing how many of us are in the same boat.
There must be something keeping us here. We know inside it's wrong, otherwise we wouldn't be here anymore, right? Or, we do remember other times, when it wasn't as painful.
I'm full of despair. It has been raining now for more than 2 week which makes it worse.
I know for me- isolation makes me much sicker. And I've gotten way too isolated, but too sick i think, to socialize anymore. I've lost just about everyone. Because my values have changed and I've de-friended people, two major people in my life died, and then black depression hit., etc.
Tried many many anti-dep., groups, councelling.
|