Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cholesterol Forum

What Is The Best Diet For A 65 Year Old With High Cholesterol

Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....
I'm a 65 year old woman and I've been struggling with my choleserol level for about 5 years, currently it is running about 410. There is no history of high cholesterol in my family, however I am about 30 pounds overweight. I was browsing the web and found a good website with some great information about different diets. I'm not sure which one to try. Does anyone have advice about which one to choose from this site
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Lucindab
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2011
You did not mention what your triglyeride and HDL levels were, but it is common for these to be highly elevated (triglycerides) and too low (HDL) when the cholesterol is this high. This is a pre-diabetic profile and the diet would need to focus on this aspect. That means no refined carbs, no hydrogenated oils, lots of fruits and veggies and spices, both aerobic and muscle building exercise, and an overall low calorie diet. The details are much more specific, but this should give you an idea of what to look for in a diet plan (and this should be considered a lifestyle changes, NOT just a temporary "diet").
This forum is not designed to provide a diagnosis, but rather to help guide you in achieving better health.
Mesa, AZ's most innovative approach to Chiropractic Medicine!!
|

replied January 16th, 2012
Garlic is very good for high cholesterol and so is Krill oil.
|

replied January 19th, 2012
walnuts, oats, avocados, flax seed, and salmon are easy foods to buy. I would also suggest looking for foods fortified with plant sterols, which are natural cholesterol reducers. You can find them in juices, breads, cheese, pasta, etc. I know MinuteMaid Heartwise orange juice and Smart Balance Heartright milk are fortified with Corowise plant sterols.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cholesterol , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.