Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

what is causing change in menstrual period?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I have a question about my period. It has been quite odd lately. On March 26 I began and that cycle ended on March 29. My period was the normal amount, but only lasting 3 days when it normally was 5 to 6. Since then I have gotten my period on time every month, expect for the length has been the same 3 to 4 days. Although the amount of blood is seemly normal for the first two days, it would then dwindle off, something that has never happened before. I did have sex March 21, with a condom, but I haven't since then. At first I though I was pregnant, but since I'm unable to get my hands on a test I sat it out till now. If I am I would be three months along, however I show no signs. Plus I believe by now I would have a lump or something, and I have no such thing (I am able to suck in my stomach to the point of being able to almost touch my spine, so I would notice something) I haven't changed my diet, no stress, nothing changed expect my period. Any ideas?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2010
Menstruation Answer A13181
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
The abnormal periods that you having could be a normal change in your hormonal and ovulation pattern. You are still young and there possibility that you were having anovulatory cycles (with no egg released from your ovary) uptil now and hence heavier periods, and now they are changed to ovulatory periods (with egg being released in menstrual cycle) and hence less bleeding.
If you are still sexually active, it better that you follow some birth control measures and be regular with it to avoid pregnancy issues..
Report to your gynecologist/healthcare provider and get an examination and other tests done to make sure there are no other problems.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.