Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

what drugs would you perscribe to me?

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
okay here goes doc, i got schizophrenia for sure. delusions of thought insertion projection (occassional the grandure ones where i think i can be employed). and some minor auditory halucinations. i have had plenty of triggers and some environmental (illicit drugs) cause that could have "done it". but my question is - what drugs would you perscribe to me and what are the side effects? also if you are in practice, what type of positive effects have been reported by your paitients?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2011
Schizophrenia Answer A22413
Hello.

First of all, you can consult a Psychiatrist in your area for a complete evaluation and diagnosis. Your description of symptoms here is not sufficient to categorize them into a particular diagnosis. If you are found to have psychosis, you may receive a prescription of anti-psychotics, with adjuvants. Some of the common side effects of anti-psychotics are hand tremors, excess salivation and tardive dyskinesia. These depend on the class of anti-psychotics. SOme of the newer anti-psychotics are known to raise blood glucose levels.

The positive effects are mostly about reduction of the delusions and hallucination, improvement of sleep, development of emotional insight and a productive lifestyle.

Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.