Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

What does the lump on the back of my neck mean?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I have a lump on the back of my neck towards the left under my hairline. I noticed it a few years ago, but my mom convinced me that it was probably just a hurt muscle or something simple. However, the past few days it has been hurting when i move my head side to side and when I put pressure on it. Also a few weeks ago I noticed red blotches on the front of my neck that won't go away, but they don't itch. I made a doctor appointment to get this checked out, but it's in a week and I am going crazy just thinking about it. I may be freaked out over nothing, but I can't help but wonder if it's something serious.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2010
Lymphoma is generally a painless condition, and is associated with gradually enlarging lymph nodes. Although I cannot offer you a specific diagnosis, as I am not involved in your care, you may have a "reactive" lymph node in your neck, which can be quite sore.

A visit to your doctor might be both helpful and reassuring to you.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.