Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

what does SUV max of 8.4 mean?

Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
what does SUV max of 8.4 mean? my father had a PETSCAN & the report states a spiculated nodule in the left upper left node of the lung measures 1.4x1.4cm & is intensely FDG avid w/ max SUV of 8.4 This lesion is consistent w/malignancy.There is also a 9x8 prevascular lymph node is moderately FDG avid w/SUV max of 2.8 It is highly suspicious for metastic lymphadenopathy. I am out of state & would like to understand this report more. I know it is not good, but if someone could explain this in lamin terms, i would appreciate it very much.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 28th, 2010
can anyone just say something, everyone else gets a response, I can handle any response you may have, just tell me something
|

replied October 6th, 2010
SUVmax (standardized uptake value) is a measure for the maximum uptake of radiolabelled glucose when performing a PET with radiolabelled glucose.
The higher the value, the higher the metabolic activity of cells/tissue. Nodules that show high metabolic activity are more likely to be cancer.
|
Quick Reply