Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

What does my cervical MRI mean? I am in so much pain.

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I wanted to know what the findings of my MRI really mean:
"A few mild degenerative changes scattered through the mid cervical region with spurring noted. There is a large herniation to the right at C5-C6 with impingement on the right side of the thecal sac. A smaller herniation is also seen slightly to the right at C6-C7 with impingement on the right side of the thecal sac as well. The remaining disc levels have an unremarkable appearance and no additional findings of significance are identified."
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 21st, 2011
Please let me know. I have called the doctor numerous times (my appointment is not until January 9th). They have kind of insinuated surgery. I am nervous that that will be the treatment. They talked about how large my herniation was. P.S. - I am only 28 years old. Just wondering your thoughts.
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2011
Especially eHealthy
kimberlypek,

Unfortunately, without actually looking at the MRI itself, it is not possible to tell how "large" a large herniation is. At the C5-6 level, it is large enough that it is putting pressure on the thecal sac. The thecal sac is the sheath that goes around the spinal cord and contains the cord and the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).

You also have a smaller herniation that the level below this (C6-7), which touches the right side of the thecal sac also. This may be just a continuation of the upper herniation, but you would have to actually look at the MRI to figure this out.

Other than the herniation of the nucleus pulposus (this is the jelly like center of the disc complex), you have some mild degenerative changes which show up as mild spurring (also called osteophytes). These are small bone spurs on the edges of the vertebral bodies. The rest of the study is normal.

As to whether or not you need surgery, that is something that you will have to discuss with your physician. If you are having a lot of symptoms in the right hand/arm, coming from the herniation pressing on the the nerves, then you might have to have that taken care of.

But, the best person to ask these questions of, is your surgeon. He/she knowns your history, symptoms, and examination. If your symptoms and findings correlate, then surgery may be offered.

Most patients who have a discrete one level herniation with concordant symptoms (meaning that they match), surgery is usually very successful. But, again, that is something you should discuss with your surgeon.

Good luck.
|

replied March 24th, 2012
Hi , I also was wondering if you had some time to review my MRI report and tell me what you think please, I really need help trying to find out whats wrong with me please. Thank you

THIS IS THE RECENT MRI DONE FEBRUARY 12 2012

There is a mild scoliosis of the cervicothoracic junction convex to the left ..

At C2/3,there is mild disc bulging.

At C2/4 and C4/5,there is mildmild central disc bulging and minor osteophyte indenting the thecal sac.

At C5/6,there is diffuse disc bulging and osteophyte,more prominent centrally .

At C6/7,the disc is unremarkable.

At C7/T1,there is very mild disc bulging and minor osteophyte,

No cervical disc herniation or spinal stenosis is demonstrated.

There has been some interval loss of height with depression of the central canal of the spinal cord which measures up to 2 to 3 mm in diameter over a length of approx. 3 cm at the C5 and C6 levels. The appeaance is consistant with a prominent central canal or possibly a tiny syrinx . This appears stable taking into account differeence in technique.
The Cervical spinal cord is otherwise within normal limits in signal intensity . No evidence of cervical cord demyelination is seen. The cerebellar tonsils are normally located.

Impression....Mild degenerative chnge as described. Mild Scollosis of the cervicothoracic junction convex to the left. Focal prominence of the central canal verses tiny syrinx at the C5 and C6 levels. This apperas stable back 2005 taking into account difference in technique.
Interval development of some loss of height involving upper thoracic vertebrae , mainly involving the superior endplates. This may be related to insufficiency fractures . I s there a history of significant trama or osteoporosis ? correlation with bone moneral densitometry may be helpful.

RECENT BRAIN MRI DONE IN JUNE 2012

BRAIN MRI JUNE 2012.....Findings;

There is NO Interacranial mass lession,edma or midline shift. NO abnormal T2 or FLAIR signal is present within the white matter.There is NO restricted diffusion or abnormal susceptibility.

The Craniocervical junction, posterior fossa and internal auditory canals are NORMAL. Normal intracranial flow voids are evident.

The visualized oortions of the orbits,paranasal sinuses,and mastoid air cells are NORMAL.

CONCLUSION:

NO acute intracranial abnormality with NO abnormal white matter signal.

I am not as concerned abt the Brain MRI as I am abt the Spinal MRI,I was wondering can I get these bulgingdisks or the diffused bulging disk from a small fall, I tripped while walking and fell , landed on my knees and caught myself with my hands , the only injury I had was my left hand was swollen for week and brusied where my thumb and wrist is , no sprains , nothing broken, and then abt a feww weeks after that I went into a hot tub, and put the jets directly on my neck and back ,, I feel like I caused injury to my neck and back from that , is that even possible? Thnaks , I pray your able to review my MRI for me ,as Drs said theres nothing causing this pain I am having .
|