Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

What causes this hand, wrist, arm, elbow and shoulder pain

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I have had tingleing and numbness in my index and middle finger and thumb for a long time. Also included in this is mid lower arm pain, elbow and shoulder pain. I can reproduce the tingling by applying pressure to the wrist, inside of the lower arm just below the elbow and the front of the shoulder just above the arm pit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also I just had surgery to pin and fuse the mid thumb joint. I was in a cast for 6 weeks and a splint for four weeks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
tora,

Numbness and tingling in the area you describe is from compression of the median nerve. The most common place for this to be compressed is at the base of the palm, within the carpal tunnel.

But, applying pressure to the nerve anywhere along its course, will cause the same symptoms. You are basically compressing the nerve in different locations as it travels from the brachial plexus in the neck, down through the arm, forearm, and then into the hand.

If you are developing persistent symptoms, without actually compressing the nerve yourself, you might want to see a hand surgeon for an evaluation and possibly some electrical nerve testing.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?