Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

What causes my asthma?

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
User Profile
I am 17 years old, have had a cough since the age of six. Went to the doctor many times, was never diagnosed until when I was 13 I started wheezing during sports lessons, I couldn't breathe properly. I was given a reliever inhaler when I was 14 and a preventer when I was 15, am still on both. However, my asthma seems to keep getting worse every year - when I was 16 I was put on a combined inhaler as well as a reliever, and now I am finding myself in hospital for no obvious reason, and have had to use nebulisers on more than one occasion. I want to know what could have caused my asthma? I have researched this and although no certain cause for asthma is known (that I have found, anyway), I haven't been exposed to any of the usual environmental factors e.g. no one in my family smokes, and there is no history of asthma or allergies in my family, I am the only one on any sort of breathing medication. Any ideas would be very much welcomed, as I still don't understand why I am getting ill, have never had any sort of allergy test or anything, and it seems strange to me that although I take my medication religously my symptoms still get worse? Any thoughts are absolutely welcome, am reaching the end of my tether here!
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 30th, 2011
Sorry to hear you are suffering. I would begin by asking your doctor to do allergy tests for you, as asthma is not always related to smoking or family history. A lot of asthma symptoms are related to an allergy of some sort, often time environmental but can be chemical as well. For example, I have an asthma attack around the cats or smelling certain household cleaners. For the environmental allergies, I use an air Air bear in my house to filter out all the airborne particles that are not good for us to breathe. For the cleaning supplies, I use all allergen reducing or non-scented cleaning products to avoid breathing problems.
Did you find this post helpful?