Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

What causes light colored bowel movements?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
What causes light colored bowel movements? I had one a few months back and haven't had another. A majority of the things I find online say liver problems or a bile obstruction. I recently have been really nauseous for no reason and my eczema has spread from my arms to my stomach. I haven't changed my diet so I know its not a food I ate. Also my skin has not yellowed and my urine is not darker like a majority of liver disease patients. Anyways your answer will be greatly appreciated and if you need to know anymore information just ask. :)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2012
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A30921
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Your stool color can vary greatly from day to day. All shades of brown are considered normal. Discolored stool rarely indicates a potentially serious intestinal condition.

Stool color is generally influenced by the food products ingested and as well as the amount of bile, secreted by the liver. Bile, a yellow-green fluid that is important for the absorbtion of fats from the intestines. As bile pigments travel through the intestines, they are chemically altered by bacterial enzymes, which change the pigments from green to brown.

Light colored , white or clay colored stools - occur when bile is not secreted into the digestive tract. Such issues can occur due to bile duct obstruction, Liver disorders resulting in less bile synthesis (eg hepatitis, cirrhosis).

But in your case, since you do not have any major signs and symptoms, associated with liver disease, your stool color might be due to ingestion of fatty foods in the diet or just a normal variant. Hence there may be no need to worry about it at all.

You may consult with your primary care physician, who can examine you and then advice you accordingly.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.