Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

What causes ketosis ?

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
I'm thinking that eating no or very low carbs allows the body to start a process called ketosis. Is that correct?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
yes but why would you want to do that to your body? it isn't healthy..you need carbs your body feeds off of it...just eat healthy carbs that aren't processed...
|

replied April 30th, 2009
KETOSIS
That is untrue. People survived with very healthy bodies before carbs were even discovered in agricultural practices 10,000 years ago. Now that carbs are put into everything obesity and heart disease is higher than ever and still rising. How else can you explain the fact that people on low carb diets that eat more calories(tons of all kinds of fats) than anyone have better cholesterol levels, better blood pressure, and better cardiovascular health in general. Answer the FDA has ignored very sound research on low carb dieting(on the web for everyone to see check out the new england journal of medicine)on animals and humans and sided with doctors with no evidence claiming low carbing is unhealthy. Why you say? Very complex answer but one word will do it "POLITICS". Tons of money made on carbs in the food industry = tons of campaign contributions via p.a.c. money to politicians who run the f.d.a. The rescent ineptitude of the f.d.a. (salmonella tomatoes) should be proof enough that the f.d.a. really is not concerned with making americans more healthy.
|

replied April 30th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Actually if you look at the food pyramid carbs are HEALTHY and you are supposed to be eating carbs...now i'm not saying go grab a bag of cheetos and eat those..i'm saying whole wheats, UNREFINED carbs..stuff that hasn't been processed to death...in moderation carbs are healthy..you need a BALANCE of ALL food groups not just a couple...carbs give you energy throughout the day
|

replied April 30th, 2009
who made the food pyramid
the f.d.a. as i explained in my previous post. Carbs(simple or complex) cause blood sugar to spike this causes large amounts of insulin to be released which forces your body to store carbs as fat. that sounds unhealthy to me. the only way to avoid this is by breaking free of your carb addiction and processing fat(ketosis) for energy while eating green vegetables for fiber (the only good carbohydrate) and micronutrients.
|

replied May 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Rolling Eyes
|
Tags: weight, loss
Quick Reply