Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

What causes a burning sensation in the head/scalp?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I am new to this so please forgive me if I have this in the wrong section.
A few days ago, before I fell asleep, I felt this warm sensation in my head, like if someone poured a warm liquid on a spot in my head, and then felt it radiate, not down my neck or anything, just in one spot on my head. it wasnt painful or anything, just strange, and then i proceeded to pace around my house for most of the night. around 1am i went to my mothers room and just layed with her and asked her about it, just so i can get some comfort. she says it's happened to her before, and its not a big deal. even with this comfort, i slowly started getting more and more anxious, up all night touching the spot when it happened, until the point that i was in tears in the morning, and she took me to the doctor. the doctor said i had anxiety reaction to what happen, and ordered an MRI just to be safe. im still waiting on those results, but for the pass few days ive been very anxious, crying at times because ive been so scared for my life. at this point im unsure whether the sensation of burning is in my brain or on my scalp, but im leading more towards the on my scalp part, and ive been having headaches too, right around my left temple (the heat sensation started at the top of my head, but closer to the left). at this point the headaches are gone and so is the burning, but ive also felt tired. im hoping that this is all due to anxiety!

i have hypothyroidism, and take levothyroxine 75mcg every day for almost a year now, and also for a while ive been taking singulair 10 mcg for a little while as well, and for these pass few days i have stop taking them both (about 5 days), and i have been afraid to be alone as well. i have started a diet of mostly fruits and vegetables and have been taking kelp supplements, selenium, and one more that i cannot remember the name atm.

has anyone had anything similar happen?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper neonsky
|

replied August 30th, 2010
Poor you, I sympathise with all your worry. All i can say to your post is that i sometimes have the same thing - like a hot feeling that appears in my head exactly as you describe. This past week ive been getting it a few times in my left forehead sort of above and left of my eyebrow. In the past ive had it in other places. I told my doctor, and he reassured me that is truly is JUST ANXIETY and lots of peopl eget this from time to time. Having an MRI is probably a bit excessive as I bet it will be fine but at least it will set your mind at risk. Let us know the results, and best of luck with it. Try to keep your thoughts positive!
|

replied December 26th, 2012
I get the same warm flush feeling over my brow towards my scalp and it worries me. I take Alprazolam, 1 a day and this has been happening for about a month. Today I have been feeling sick and shakey so I had to take another pill, never do that, but had to to calm down. So you are saying it is a result of anxiety. I feel alot better if that is the case.
|

replied November 3rd, 2010
anxiety causes a burning sensation in my scalp and cheek
I've had these same problems since 2005 and my doctor had originally placed me on amitriptyline which is a trycyclic antidepressant.
I have been using it regularly at 10mg a night for 5 years. It does minimize the effect of the feeling and make my mood somewhat better. Also, I get VERY good sleep from this drug at night.But I do feel it does not fully address the underlying cause of the problem. And now that I have been dealing with the burning sensation for 5 years, I do believe it is related to anxiety. My front of my forehead above the right eye and into my scalp will burn and sometimes my right cheek and the ring around my right eye. For example, I found out yesterday about a job interview that I have been pursuing, and I am going to get the interview. Today, I have been burning terribly in the face and forehead as I think about the interview. I have not had it burning like this for some time. I wish I knew better how to correct it, but I haven't found it yet. Does anyone have an idea?

Its actually like the same feeling you get when you are embarrased and flushed in the face, except that with the anxiety it seems to go a step further than the momentary embarrassment and ties up my entire day and maybe I could get rid of it if I just hid my head under the pillow.
|

replied October 28th, 2011
Anxiety and nuerotranmitters
All the post these posted experiences have common symptoms of anxiety and stress. I believe there burning sensations is from an over activation of neurotransmitters. More than likely glutamate. It is the most excitatory factor of all common neurotransmitters. Thing like Xanax quite often releave these symptoms but at the cost of codependies. They work on GABA receptors as an agonist, promoting a inhibitory effect on the glutamate balancing the over activity back to a reasonable level. In my opinion, things like Xanax, tricyclics or ssri's help to relieve the symptoms but have a bandaid effect. The real issue varies exstremely from person to person, as far as chemecil imbalance, thiriod/enocrine system problems, emotional disturbances and maladaptive cognitive beliefs (conditioning) etc the list goes one. Although, the outcome on a neurological level is pretty much the same. Over active or overly sensitive nenvious system to stress ans neural stimulation. Stay away from all stimulants, such as caffeine, methemphedamines ( excuse my spelling) and alcohols. Basically, the sympathetic nernvious System is kicking in at inappropriate times.in simple terms the Fear or flight effect which now include freeze in that theory. Fear may be associated to anxiousness, phobia, cotastrophic thoughts and comminly a self awareness that make people misinterpret bodily functions at the best of times, so when anxiety symptom show, there is instant consern of am I going crazy, I'm I dying, what if scenarios. This quite often promotes a self diolog inside your head that tries to talk you through it but usually just makes
It worse. Burning sensation turns to hyper vigilance. Ready to flee at any chance. Avoidant behavior is common and not facing the issue by avoiding situations rewards the Avoidant behavior. The whole thing is self perpetuating and most people end up having anxiety about the anxiety it self. It does nothe for your confidence and over all
Can worsen without intervention. Problem is therapy is usually CBT and medication to help you cope with the life style you have. Not all people fit into this catogory, but I would really look closely at stressors in your life to keep them at a bare minumine, exercise a d eat healthy, and learn relaxation techniques (CBT can help here), try not to let the episode get the better of you, note the times and what is going on around you at time of onset of first symptoms ( burning, blushing, fidgeting, shoulder raised, and negitive roomanating thought etc. It is Anxiety! And Anxiety will play many tricks to lead you from persevere harm. Avoidance of this situation does not help in the long run. You need time to suppress or retrain the autonomic nervous system not to responses inappropriately to your own personal triggers of worry, stress, concern, self doubt, low self worth/estem, underlying emotionally suppressed conflicts between actions and beliefs in your own internal and external world. The big question is, does anxiety cause activation of neurotransmitters or does neural chemical imbalance cause anxiety? Either way google glutamate , noroepephrine, dopamine and GABA interactions. Other domains of interest might be Stress/ truama and the hippocampus, hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis: implications for the development of psychotic disorders. Sorry for the blurb writen on the fly, but should give enough to research. Remember everything you read you are likely to think it relates to you and may even produce anxiety. As someone with anxiety the whole everything is just psychosamitic doesnt alway wash with me. Not enough if known about the effects or causes of nuerotranmitters, little known allergies, auotoamune disease, drug abuse. Withdrawal from drug and alchole can cause symptoms. One thing that will help is to limit the activation of modelities during stressful times. Take time out for you self to have that relation time. Stimulation of visual and auditory in the environment should be realizing to. Even just quiet, subtle lighting, ebson salt bath one a week. If you can't find the time to try this then you really are strapped for time and stress is more the likely your trigger. Cheers, good luck, don't let it get the better of you. Copping with relation therapy may eventually help to reboot the nervious system.
|

replied October 23rd, 2012
Warm Forehead sensation
to cjwat: your post made me feel so much better. I started taking prozac about 2 weeks ago and thats about when my forehead warm sensation started. I am taking the prozac because im 40 something and my pms moods have gotten so bad, irritable, sad, cranky ...unlike I've ever experienced. Any thoughts on that? The warm sensation and the prozac? it's a low dose 20mg. Thanks psk
|

replied November 1st, 2011
Not that this makes me happy but im glad to know im not the only one out there who gets this. I get burning on the left side of my head and i tend to freak myself out thinking im dying from heart attack, stroke or aneurysm.i do suffer from panic attacks,panic disorder and GAD.The person who explained it as almost flushing like embarassment on your face explained it perfectly almost like when your face gets red and tingly.
|

replied October 13th, 2012
gosh! i am experiencing this head burn now and its freaking me out.i can stand it.i am happy to know though that you guys get it too and not me alone.gonna swallow a Xanax like rite now.
|

replied November 15th, 2012
no psych
From a withdrawn user. Avoid using all psychotropic drugs, regardless of its name. No one ever gets cured using these drugs. If you need proof, serch utube for psychiatric drugs. Plan to devote about 90 minutes to viewing these attitude changing and informative vidoes about the psychiatric industry.
|

From a withdrawn user. Avoid using all psychotropic drugs, regardless of its name. No one ever gets cured using these drugs. If you need proof, search utube for psychiatric drugs. Plan to devote about 90 minutes to viewing these attitude changing and informative vidoes about the psychiatric industry.
|

From a withdrawn user. Avoid using all psychotropic drugs, regardless of its name. No one ever gets cured using these drugs. If you need proof, serch utube for psychiatric drugs. Plan to devote about 90 minutes to viewing these attitude changing and informative vidoes about the psychiatric industry.
|

replied February 2nd, 2013
BURNING IN HEAD
I GET SEVERE BURNING IN MY HEAD SOMETIMES USUALLY WHEN SOMETHING MAKES ME NERVOUS OR I AM THINKING OF SOMETHING THAT MAKES ME NERVOUS LIKE NOT HAVING COLD WATER ON A HOT DAY. IVE HAD THIS FOR MANY YEARS AND I HAVE NOW JUST GOTTEN RELIEF AND DO NOT FEEL IT ANYMORE BUT I DO STILL HAVE THE NERVOUSNESS. TRY TEGRATOL AT LEAST 200MG TWICE DAILY THEN GO UP FROM THERE WHEN YOU GET USED TO IT. WHEN I FIRST STARTED TEGRATOL I NOTICED THE BURNING STARTING TO COME ON BUT WAS STOPPED. BY THE MEDICINE. I AM GETTING TESTS DONE TO SEE IF I AM HAVING A POST STROKE WHICH ANTI SEIZURE MEDS CAN HELP. I BEEN ON NEURONTIN AND XANAX AND TONS OF PILLS NOTHING TOOK THE BURNING AWAY UNTIL I WAS PUT ON TEGRATOL. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY. HOPE THIS HELPS.
|

replied December 30th, 2013
Hi all, I''m 27/f married n mum for a 2.6yrs old baby gal. Well I too experience exactly the same burning sensation on my eye brows and just above te forehead, also I see hair loss in those places (both brows n above te forehead- where we take straight partition), I''m pretty sure tat I''m totally stressed and had myself a general physician checkup n tests too, everything looks same and doc has given me some sleeping pills with which I get to sleep these days... But I''m really really worried about the hair loss and not sure which doc to approach - general, derma, endocrinologist... Gosh now this is worrying me like anything... Some one pls tell me if this hair loss is just a temporary one or how go help it to Re-grow :''( pls give me some advice... Thanks.
|

replied January 15th, 2014
Hi lately I have also been experiencing this strange burning sensation,normally after I wake up,it's started a week ago and I'm starting to worry. I hardly get headaches but sometimes there is pain under my eyes, but I'm guessing that's sinus. I'm a bit nauseas but that's about it. I just hope it's only anxiety but what's starnge isthat my hearing is also been strange, it sometimes feels that there is water and it' s a bit blocked. If someone can tell me if it's anxiety or something else
|

replied January 28th, 2014
I have the same symptoms. Have you heard what it might be? I have a doctor's appt. tomorrow, and I'm hoping they'll be able to tell me something!
|

replied May 3rd, 2014
Hi I am new to this page but I am getting the same burning in my head and neck too, it burn so much that I have end up in the mad house, but I am not mad it burn so much some time I will cry hold night make phone calls all hourin the morning cry cry cry asking for help iI wish some one can help me. By the way I am from the Caribbean u can contact me in email
|

replied September 25th, 2014
Head burning sensation
Ihave had the burning liquid sensation in my left temple area, spreading over the back of my head 5 times in the last year, it is scary, and just feels like someone has poured a cup of warm water over me...infact the first time it happened i was feeling on my pillow for the wetness!! but it is stress related, when im over thinking and have alot on my mind,mostly happens after sleep on first waking, try not to worry,try st johns wart tablets and get good nights sleep i find this helps and do your best not to go into a panic when it does happen just lie and relax and think this will pass over, I also suffer from migraine with aura (eye disturbance) that is exasperated by stress and tiredness too, but have now learned to cope with both, good luck everyone. x
|

replied September 25th, 2014
Having an MRI is probably a bit excessive as I bet it will be fine but at least it will set your mind at risk. Let us know the results, and best of luck with it. Try to keep your thoughts positive!
|