Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

What can happen if you don't get your wisdom teeth removed?

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I'm 21 years old and going through a lot of health problems at the moment (probably either complications from Epstein-Barr virus or mold exposure). About a year ago my top left wisdom tooth grew in with very little pain and it's still there not causing me problems, except it's a bit angled so at first I would occasionally bite my cheek, but I've gotten used to it. Now I can feel the bottom right one growing in, and I don't have as much room at the bottom as I do on top. It seems like it will probably have enough room to grow in but I'm not sure.
I really don't want to go through surgery when I've got so many other health problems. So what's the worst that can happen if I don't get it removed?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi mystery_illness...Why not have it removed so that it will not cause the problem...They really are not necessary...Take care...

Caroline
|

Experienced User
Well, I tend to believe that many people who get their wisdom teeth removed don't actually need it done. My top one grew in just fine. The thing is, my health isn't the best right now and I don't want to go through surgery and pain when I'm already not feeling well.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
mystery_illness,

Wisdom teeth are very variable. Some people will not have any of the four grow in, others will have all four, and yet others will have one, two, or three come in. In fact, if you notice on your dentist's chart, the teeth are numbered as if all four wisdom teeth are present. So, they are not really "extra" teeth.

If the person has enough room in the jaw to accommodate the teeth, there is no problem. If the teeth come in at the proper angle, it's no problem.

But, if the wisdom teeth start to push other teeth out of the way, or they come in impacted, then they can cause pain and/or malocclusion (improper bite).

Some people will have the wisdom teeth removed before they have any problems, because usually the oral surgeon can tell from the x-rays that they are going to cause problems in the future. So, the person will have them "electively" removed at their convenience, when they have time to take off work or it does not interfere with schooling.

However, if the wisdom teeth are not causing any problems, or are not likely to cause any in the future, they can be left just like they are.

Teeth that cause malocclusion can cause problems with malnutrition, is the person is unable to eat properly. Teeth that continually cause injury to the inside of the mouth could cause infection. Some impacted teeth become abscessed. Problems with the bone holding the teeth in place can occur.

So, it is basically up to how many symptoms you are having and what you want to do. Sometimes, it is best to go ahead and take care of dental problems. It is known that chronic dental infections can cause other health problems. You should discuss your health problems with your physician and dentist, and then decide what is best for you.

Good luck.
|

replied October 28th, 2012
Experienced User
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll just wait and see what happens with it. I barely felt it at all today. If I remember correctly I felt very slight pain on and off for a long time before the other one actually came in.
|