Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

What are the symptoms of breast cancer?

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
my daughter is in her 30's. She has an inverted nipple and a golf size lump under her left breast. Is this serious? And what are the treatments?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 19th, 2012
It COULD be serious. There's no way to know without going to a doctor for diagnosis. First, let me say, I have had brest cancer, and had successful surgery. Since then, I have stressed to my friends and family to please get their mammograms every year and if anything is seen or felt that is unusual, go right away to have a doctor check it out. I made, what could have been, a serious mistake of waiting a few months to see a doctor when I felt a lump. The lump was a bit painful, and I THOUGHT (wrongly) that cancer wasn't ever painful, so I thought it was probably just a cyst. Well, it wasn't. So, yes, have your daughter go see her doctor as soon as possible. Don't let her think that she is too young to be at risk. Women much younger can be at risk - especially if there is a family history...or even without a family history. It's easy to ignore a lump or an inverted nipple, and be in denial that it COULD be cancer. Cancer is a very scary diagnosis, but SO many women (and men)get treatment, survive, and live long happy lives afterwards. That's what I'm planning on doing! ...and I will add, that reconstructive surgery has come a long way. I look better than I did going in! Treatment will vary, depending on diagnosis. You're a good mom to ask about this. Do what you can to see that she gets to a doctor very soon. If she refuses, either you, her husband (if she has one), or a friend should hog-tie her and get her there! Not really, of course!...but it's very important for her to go ASAP. Good luck!
|
Did you find this post helpful?